Can smoking be regarded as a hobby?

Post anything related to whatever type of hobby you are actively involved in or are interested in knowing more about.
Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Can smoking be regarded as a hobby?

Postby Heatman » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:10 am

I have actually seen so many people who can't do without smoking in their lives that it wouldn't be wrong to say that they have taken to smoking now as their hobby, since it's something they enjoy doing always even when they are supposed to smoke or not, then would still end up smoking.

Can this form of behavior be affirmed as a hobby?

MusicManiac
Canada

Re: Can smoking be regarded as a hobby?

Postby MusicManiac » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:06 am

I definitely could see smoking as being labeled a hobby. Especially when you factor in all the different kinds of smoking there is. Whether it be legal or illegal, there's all types of smoking. Even when you just consider smoking regular cigarettes, there are literally thousands of different brands to choose from.

davidworth
United States of America

Postby davidworth » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:59 am

I think so. I've notice that over that past decade there has been alot of vapor smoking stores showing up around my area. I've been in a few of them when I had to make deliveries at my job. From what I can tell, there looks like there's thousands of different varieties to choose from.
Discover all things abroad

Folk Artist
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Zodiac: Aquarius
United States of America

Postby Folk Artist » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:05 pm

A hobby is a activity or pastime done for pleasure, but it's not a necessity or driving need. Enjoying a few cigars every week would be a a hobby, if you routinely light up a couple of cigars everyday than that would be a habit. If you cannot get through the day without smoking several cigars a day to get your nicotine fix, that would be a addiction.

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:45 am

Anything which you see yourself being addicted to and which you seemingly cannot resist doing on daily basis is most definitely your hobby.

This is just the fact.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:35 pm

In my opinion as a smoker for 25 years, smoking to me is a recreational activity which has addictive qualities. It's not like a sport in which people could suddenly stop doing because smoking has withdrawal symptoms. So it's an addictive vice like drinking.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:26 pm

This is a debatable topic because smokers will defend their smoking as to consider it as a hobby. I have to agree that smoking can relax the smoker because I was once a smoker myself. However you have to understand that there are outlying health issues and also the expense for buying cigarettes. But most of all in the Philippines particularly in the city smoking is banned in buildings and compounds. You can only smoke when you are far away from the public.

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:21 am

Yes, I do think that it can be regarded as a hobby because it's something that people do as a form of recreation, like to pass the time and to keep themselves occupied and entertained. I used to smoke, and I did view it as a form of recreation and not a vice.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:20 am

You enjoy doing something does not mean it is your hobby. Someone likes smoking so much that he/she cannot do without smoking not because it is his/her hobby but because it is an addiction. People are addicted to smoking therefore they cannot give up easily. Addiction is very digfferent from hobby.

ricky1874
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Zodiac: Virgo
United States of America

Postby ricky1874 » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:31 pm

Heatman wrote:I have actually seen so many people who can't do without smoking in their lives that it wouldn't be wrong to say that they have taken to smoking now as their hobby, since it's something they enjoy doing always even when they are supposed to smoke or not, then would still end up smoking.

Can this form of behavior be affirmed as a hobby?

I think so, but it would be considered a dangerous hobby. But, I like drinking different kinds of beers and liquors and this can be considered a dangerous hobby also I think. :D
"100 Countries Before I Die..."

Return to “Hobbies, Cars, Arts & Crafts”