Religion and Philosophy: Same or Opposite?

Discuss your religious and philosophical beliefs and views on life with others. Be respectful of other's beliefs and views.
aceinter001
Philippines

Religion and Philosophy: Same or Opposite?

Postby aceinter001 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:02 am

A famous philosopher once said that the deeper one philosophizes, the more he dwells into religion. That thought really struck me because all the while I was thinking that both were opposed to each other, knowing so many atheists who were philosophers. But philosophy has been a a tool of prominent theologians in the past last Thomas Aquinas , Augustine, etc. What is your take on philosophy and religion?

ricky1874
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Zodiac: Virgo
United States of America

Re: Religion and Philosophy: Same or Opposite?

Postby ricky1874 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:06 pm

I can see how philosophy and religion can be seen as the same thing. Both are view points on life and how it should be lived.
"100 Countries Before I Die..."

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:37 am

Religion and philosophy are not the same things but sometimes they talk about the same thing: the life and the living. I do not know about other religions but Hinduism and Buddhism have explored philosophy quite well, they even have a lot of books dedicated to various philosophical thoughts.

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:24 am

In my opinion, philosophy is different from religion because you aren't worshipping a God in philosophy, it's just a topic that is spiritual and deep in nature. In religion, you are worshipping a God. So those 2 subjects are completely different.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:12 am

There is a Christian sect here that uses the Bible like a lawyer (who uses the constitution and other laws). Everything he said depended on the Bible just like what other Christian sects do. However this sect believes that philosophy should not be merged with religion because the contents of the Bible will not work that way. Maybe what he means is that there are parts of the Bible that are out of logic.

Hova
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Postby Hova » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:37 am

Religion is just like school. Its main purpose is to keep people enslaved and in the darkness. Philosophy is free thinking which means your thoughts are not bound by preestablished rules. Free thinking is the truth. The rest are just illusions.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”