Married to a person with a different religion

Discuss your religious and philosophical beliefs and views on life with others. Be respectful of other's beliefs and views.
Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Married to a person with a different religion

Postby Alexandoy » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:18 pm

I know of a couple whose husband is a Muslim and the wife is a Christian. The husband said that they can live harmoniously by respecting each other's religion. But perhaps that couple is an exception because usually and it is common that a couple with different religious beliefs would be arguing most of the time. What is your take on this issue?

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Re: Married to a person with a different religion

Postby justin » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:25 am

Marriage should be entirely based on love, mutual respect, trust, etc. however, culture and tradition have a huge influence on the relationship. If you are a practicing person (who performs religious duties), it is really difficult to be in a cordial relationship with a person of another faith who is also a practicing person. For instance, if you are a Church goer and pray every day, can you stay with a Muslim who prays 5 times a day and goes to Mosque?

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:32 am

That's why I will not go for someone that has a different religion than me, it would be quite complicated because we do not share the same beliefs. I would probably clash with my partner over theological discussions, so it would be best to avoid a love interest that belongs to a different religion.

MonicaOr
United States of America

Postby MonicaOr » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:49 am

I guess if you are truly in love then your religious beliefs will not matter so much. If you are really in love you will work with your partner to compromise and make each other happy.

ricky1874
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Zodiac: Virgo
United States of America

Postby ricky1874 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:05 pm

For me this is not a major problem because I'm not a religious person. So, most of the people that I've dated believed in one religion or another. As far as marriage is concerned, as long as you respect each others beliefs and are open and honest with each other then everything sound be ok.
"100 Countries Before I Die..."

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”