Conversational Japanese

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Conversational Japanese

Postby Alexandoy » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:53 am

My wife and I are going to Osaka, Japan tomorrow afternoon, March 15, for a short vacation. This is our first time that's why I'm kinda apprehensive with the language. From what I know, there are very few English speakers in Japan. Anyway, here are the terms and phrases that I am reviewing...
1. Good morning, good afernoon, good evening - ohaiyo gozaimasu, konichiwa, konbanwa
2. Thank you, you are welcome - domo arigato, do itashi mashite
3. How much is this? - Ikura desu ka?
4. What is your name? - O namae wa?
5. My name is Alex - Alex des.

I'm sure I still lack a lot but I had lost time in my research due to my busy schedule. I'm hoping that I can find an app to assist me with Nihonggo.

kaka135
Malaysia

Re: Conversational Japanese

Postby kaka135 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:33 pm

@Alexandoy I hope you are enjoying the trip in Japan with your wife. I am sure you will learn more while staying there.

I haven't been Japan before, but I am always interested in learning Japanese, perhaps I watched some Japanese movies and read the Japanese comics when I was young. I still remember a phrase my Japanese friend taught me years ago - tanjobi ometeto (Happy Birthday). :)

angelsherrykudo
Philippines

Postby angelsherrykudo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:50 am

Hi Alexandoy!

I hope you enjoyed your trip to Osaka with your wife. How was your stay there? Were you able to use the Japanese words that you have learned?
It has been by dream to go there since I was in high school. Part of our curriculum was learning Japanese, and in that subject I have learned a lot about Japan, not just their language but also their culture. Our Japanese teacher has taught us well. However, we were only able to learn the language for a year so I just know about basic conversational Japanese. I have mastered hiragana, but not katakana and kanji. Now, a few years later, I wanted to re-learn Japanese again.

Enrolling in a Japanese teaching school is the best way to learn the language, but it will cost a lot. They also have fixed schedules so you have to adjust your own schedule in order to attend their classes. The Department of Linguistics in UP Diliman (Philippines) offers summer language classes at a relatively affordable price.

There are a lot of free apps that you can download online. I have tried a lot of them, but I the best one I've used is DuoLingo. Their lessons are easy to follow and you can just allot 5 minutes everyday to learn Japanese. What I like about it is that it regularly notifies you about your progress. The key here is consistency. Allotting a short amount of time everyday is almost an effortless way of learning a language. So if you are planning to go to Japan in the future but not real soon, you can start learning Japanese little by little today.

cherimae
Australia

Postby cherimae » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:46 am

I've been to Japan a number of times and I think it's fairly easy to get by without needing a bunch of language capability. I too used DuoLingo to pick up some of the language though, as another poster mentioned. Free apps are always helpful and it not only teaches you vocabulary but helps you remember the hiragana/katakana and kanji as well, so it helps to make sense of their written language too.

I hope you had a wonderful trip. Japan truly is one of my favorite spots to visit!

Steve5
Philippines

Postby Steve5 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:01 am

I'd have to agree with them. Duolingo is a very helpful app for learning Japanese. I've actually attempted to learn the language several times. I managed to learn some bits and pieces. But I still have ways to go. I should probably get back to learning more Japanese soon.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:12 am

I've travelled to Japan twice in the late 90's, I was working for a Japanese company then and I visited Mt.Fuji or Fuji-san as they call it. There's a National Park I think it's also called Mt.Fuji national park, and from there you can hike to the summit of Mt.Fuji, but I didnt have the opportunity to do that, we were on a quick site seeing tour. But I just love the way Japanese language is spoken and it's really not that hard to understand. You just have to familiarized yourself with basic phrases first. Good luck to your trip.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:25 am

Conversational Japanese is easier if you have a use for it every day. If you are working for a Japanese company then you can surely learn their language the easier way and the sentences and words are actual. My nephew who worked in Japan for 2 years is very fluent in Nihonggo because he had to learn. Same with other languages it is easier when you live in their country.

Hova
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Postby Hova » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:15 am

Thanks for the info. I don't see myself meeting anyone from Japan anytime in the near future but you never know.

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:01 pm

Japan is a progressed country, but the locals speak little English, unfortunately. I think that you can get by there if you know the basic sentences that you should learn as a tourist.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:27 pm

This thread was created about three months ago. I hope Alex had a wonderful time in Japan. I have some friends living in Japan (people from my home country). They tell me that tipping is not appreciated in japan and the women with the exposed shoulders are not liked in Japan. Also do not expect someone to leave you their seat on a public vehicle just because you are old or frail.

Return to “Japanese”