Why are children always named after their father?

Any topic and any subject.
mildredtabitha
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Re: Why are children always named after their father?

Postby mildredtabitha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:43 am

Heatman wrote:This is actually a general phenomenon all around the globe when child naming is involved. As much as a mother might have a say in naming of her baby, but it's the one named after the father that stands out and it's likely the name the child carries all his life.

I would say that the reason for this is because the father is the head of the family, even with wife had to leave her own father's house and name, and come to pick up and answer her husband name. So therefore, it's logical that their children names links up with the father's names and not the mother, as their mother have already swapped her own father's name for her husband own.

You have a good point. This is also the same reason why children are always named after their father at my place. Since the wife leaves her father's house and changes her name to her husband's name. It is so obvious that the man is to be respected as the head of the family and children named after him.

potentialwriter
Zodiac: Gemini
Nigeria

Postby potentialwriter » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:28 am

Children are named after their father because the man is the head of the home and the husband. He is the father of the children and must share inheritance with all of them. Right from the beginning, God had made the man the head over his wife, animals, fishes, and over everything that crawls on the grounds. Naturally, women were formed from the side bones of the man and children came out of the man naturally.

What really forms a child is the very natural substance God deposited in the man which forms the child logically. Medical doctors cannot explain the mystery of how the child forms from the first second and that's why children belong to their father and, thus, bear their father's name.

wallet
Romania

Postby wallet » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:31 pm

Here most of the born kids are named after their father, or at least from someone of their family, and the reason it may be to transfer something from them to their kid. I did name my second son after my name and I am proud to have a son even if my desire was to have a little girl.

Kieranlewix
Zodiac: Virgo
Kenya

Postby Kieranlewix » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:08 am

Traditionally, fathers are the heads of their families. I think it is a sign of respect to name children after their father. In my culture, a child is given their own English name and after that name comes the father's and grandfather's. This, of course, happens for firstborns. Secondborns usually inherit a name from the mother's side, not necessarily their own mom's. Girl children are the ones who get either their mom's or grandmom's name depending on their order of birth. I think the naming process is very fair in my culture and all parents are well represented and given equal opportunities and roles in naming.

kaka135
Malaysia

Postby kaka135 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:43 am

As Chinese, the children's last name or surname follow the father, but usually the parents will give the name to the children. We also try not to use the same name as any of the older generation, so naming after father or grandfather isn't common. Some Chinese even have to follow certain word in their names according to the generation, so we can easily identify this child belongs to which generation. But not many follow this naming rule nowadays. For us, my husband and I just think and talk about the names we like and we chose one for our children.

wallet
Romania

Postby wallet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:19 am

Here are kids are not always named after their father, but in extreme cases, they are named after its father. For example, my father died a month ago and I am named after him, so, I have decided to name my second son after him, only to get his name further.

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Wed May 02, 2018 2:13 am

wallet wrote:Here most of the born kids are named after their father, or at least from someone of their family, and the reason it may be to transfer something from them to their kid. I did name my second son after my name and I am proud to have a son even if my desire was to have a little girl.

In my experience, fathers always like their sons to take after them both in name and character and behavior. This is actually why the name junior is used frequently by first sons. The same thing was what happened to me, as I was named after my father - Emmanuel Junior.

wallet
Romania

Postby wallet » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:39 am

I have my father name "ADRIAN" since my father died a few months ago I have decided to name my second son after him and wear our name. This was the reason why I choose to put this name for him.

Folk Artist
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Zodiac: Aquarius
United States of America

Postby Folk Artist » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:35 pm

Sometimes this is a family tradition but today people are not doing this so much, also it seems like you are putting to much pressure on the child to follow in his father's footsteps. I think the child should be clear and free of the father's past life and besides having a new name in the family is fun as well.

Nocturnal Thinker
Philippines

Postby Nocturnal Thinker » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:21 am

I name our youngest son after my name. In short, he is my junior. The point why I named him after my name is for posterity purpose. That is nobody or no one would forget who is his father. Thus, generation to generation it is easy to recall in that case. That is my reason why I name our youngest son after my name.

Return to “Miscellaneous”