Traditions on Foreign Soil

Any topic and any subject.
Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Traditions on Foreign Soil

Postby Kakashi2020 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:24 am

Whenever I'm in another country, I would ask my host or my local friends about the household traditions when someone visits a local home. It's always good to know the proper courtesy and greetings as well as dining procedures of the locals to avoid any untoward incidents or confusion.

ricky1874
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Zodiac: Virgo
United States of America

Re: Traditions on Foreign Soil

Postby ricky1874 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:21 am

I agree with you on the importance of knowing the other country's culture before you visit. On my first trip to the Philippines I learned that placing the backside of an elderly person's hand on your forehead was a sigh of respect. If we all took the time to learn other cultures then maybe the world would be a better place.
"100 Countries Before I Die..."

daniel74
United States of America

Postby daniel74 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:25 am

I think everyone that travels to another country should do this. When traveling we should always remember that we are only guests in the country. We should always show respect and take the time to learn something about the country.

Hova
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Postby Hova » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:16 am

When in Rome, right? I think the least any foreigner can do is try and respect other people's traditions and lifestyle.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:12 pm

I have learned that in Thailand you have to speak softly as much as you can. When your voice is loud they think you are angry and that is against their culture.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:03 am

Cultural assimilation is very important if you are living in a different culture. For example, if you are in the Islamic world, you should avoid drinking alcohol. If you are in Nepal, you should avoid asking for beef. You should never offend other's cultures.

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:30 am

Yes I agree that it's imperative to ask for the must-know traditions, because you don't want to be placed in an uncomfortable position. There are some things in another country that must be revered or laws that must be abided that we don't know about.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:38 pm

justin wrote:Cultural assimilation is very important if you are living in a different culture. For example, if you are in the Islamic world, you should avoid drinking alcohol. If you are in Nepal, you should avoid asking for beef. You should never offend other's cultures.

The big difference in culture is the reason why I decline the invitation of friends who are living in Dubai, UAE. I am afraid that I would violate their civil laws. A couple walking side by side is not allowed in Islamic countries. The woman should walk behind the man. For me, a vacation is a time of relaxation and I wouldn't want to be concerned with laws that I do not know.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:43 am

I have not been to Islamic countries, but I have heard from my relatives who have been there. Looking straight at a womans' face is rude in Islamic culture, women not covering their heads (even if you are non-Islam) is also rude in the Ismalic world. You should be careful in following common traditions when you are indifferent cultures.

Return to “Miscellaneous”