Barbecue - Street Food in the Philippines

Give reviews and locations of different restaurants and the foods and drinks from around the world. Also share recipes or cooking and brewing techniques of different foods, wine, beer etc.
cebuanna
Philippines

Barbecue - Street Food in the Philippines

Postby cebuanna » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:26 pm

This is one of a Filipino version of 'dining out':

A stick of small pork barbecue costs 10 pesos each (about $0.25 US). Pork chops and chicken barbecue sticks costs about 50 pesos ($1.25 US). Grilled Squid is 90 pesos to 100 pesos depending on the size, and fish is 50 pesos to 100 ($1.25 to $2.50 US) pesos, again depending on size and also species. Hotdog, pork sausage, and other small servings cost 5 pesos to 10 pesos. - See more at: http://www.cebuanas.com/blog/2014/05/05/Administrator/barbecue---street-food-in-the-philippines#sthash.0EpZMgTR.dpuf

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Re: Barbecue - Street Food in the Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:19 pm

Street barbecue is common in Metro Manila especially near the depressed areas. Some variations are the cheap chicken parts like feet and head. But the most popular is the chicken intestine called Betamax. There's also the blood of pork and the skin of beef. These street food are patronized by the masses.

abelinc
Philippines

Postby abelinc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:15 pm

If you guys are ever in Cebu City, the most famous place to visit is what we call "Larsian." It is a small compound of hawker stalls selling any barbecued products from pork, chicken, pork intestines, chicken liver, chicken feet, fish, etc. It is located near the famous Fuente Circle. Nearest landmark for this place is a mall called Robinson's Cybergate and a local hospital called ChongHua Hospital (B. Rodriguez/Fuente Branch). Another equally famous barbecue place is called Matias. You can find it along A.S. Fortuna St., in Mandaue City. It's right next to a Mc Donald restaurant and is across a local grocery store called SuperMetro. Other options include NeoNeo Grill and AA's BBQ. Both BBQ places have several branches all around the city. If you guys ever visit Cebu City, you should check it out. If you're bringing along a whole bunch of family and friends, you can definitely save a few bucks here compared to taking everyone to restaurants inside the malls.
Check out the Philippines @ http://www.bisdak.org

maxen57

Postby maxen57 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:18 pm

I'm pretty low maintenance. You can take me out on a barbecue date and I will love you for it, lol! It's a local favorite, both for snacking and as a side dish to a rice meal. I especially love barbecue with a hot and spicy vinegar dip. It goes perfectly with the usual sweet and spicy marinade that we locals use on our barbecue.

Camilla
Philippines

Postby Camilla » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:15 pm

I love barbecue and some stands/stalls are just better than others. I always check what meat part is being sold and how generous the portions are. I'm willing to pay more for high quality barbecue anytime. I find that neighborhood barbecue stands sell far more better quality barbecue than those sold by ambulant vendors. I appreciate the special attention they give to their dips and sauces and I always prefer dips of vinegar with a hint of sugar, bits of cucumber, and loads of sprouted mung beans. Some of the best ones I've tasted are those sold at the weekend market in Salcedo Village and Legaspi Village in Makati.

fern2x2001
Philippines

Postby fern2x2001 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:29 am

Barbecue is one of the best street foods here in the Philippines. Pork meat sliced into thin strips then marinated into a secret concoction then skewed into a barbecue stick, but you could also have chicken and other parts like legs, thighs and even chicken head, intestines, and feet and are dipped into a vinegar which the concoction is a top secret as well. Different parts of a pig are also used to make barbecue and are sold in the streets. There are a lot of stalls at the streets that offers barbecue. Some are good and some are just okay. But if you really want to get to try out the best barbecue stall, just follow where the long line is. :-)

wallet
Romania

Postby wallet » Sun May 13, 2018 5:34 am

Wow your barbeque prices are very low, but we do not have here street barbeque, we can eat a barbeque only in the restaurants or make by us. In a restaurant, a piece of 100 grams is around 3 or 4 dollars, with a beer and a juice we can pay over 5 dollars.

ricky1874
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Zodiac: Virgo
United States of America

Postby ricky1874 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:07 am

fern2x2001 wrote:Barbecue is one of the best street foods here in the Philippines. Pork meat sliced into thin strips then marinated into a secret concoction then skewed into a barbecue stick, but you could also have chicken and other parts like legs, thighs and even chicken head, intestines, and feet and are dipped into a vinegar which the concoction is a top secret as well. Different parts of a pig are also used to make barbecue and are sold in the streets. There are a lot of stalls at the streets that offers barbecue. Some are good and some are just okay. But if you really want to get to try out the best barbecue stall, just follow where the long line is. :-)

Filipino street foods is one of my biggest regrets and what I miss most about traveling to the Philippines. I regret that I didn't get a chance to spend more time trying out all the delicious smelling street foods that I encountered. I did get a chance to try some barbecue chicken and some fried chicken skins with hot sauce dip. The fried chicken skins by itself is a good reason to travel back to the Philippines.
"100 Countries Before I Die..."

Return to “Foods & Drinks”