Cooking Foreign Foods?

Give reviews and locations of different restaurants and the foods and drinks from around the world. Also share recipes or cooking and brewing techniques of different foods, wine, beer etc.
DreamingKpop

Cooking Foreign Foods?

Postby DreamingKpop » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:41 pm

I've been watching K-dramas and the food always looks delicious. I've been looking around for a good Korea cookbook and found one in the library to borrow. I have to admit that finding the ingredients was half the battle. What's worse was that the store that had it was speaking Japanese, which I don't understand yet. But is one my list. So after finding the right ingredients, I get home excited to cook the food. I ended up burning half of it and undercooking the other half. The smoke alarms in my apartment went off. It was kind of tragically humorous how different my food look compared to the food in k-dramas. Have you ever tried cooking foreign foods with the authentic ingredients? How did it go?

nnacrter
Philippines

Re: Cooking Foreign Foods?

Postby nnacrter » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:56 pm

I don't even know how to cook foreign dishes. But even I'm not a fan of Kdrama or Kpop. I wanna learn to cook Kimchi. They said that it's easy to cook.

egcgecobe
Philippines

Postby egcgecobe » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:39 pm

My girlfriend and I tried making kimbap because I really like it. We started watching video and look for the ingredients on the grocery, luckily its available. The only problem is its hard to make it presentable as much as possible, it always getting wreck when we start rolling it. Though it tasted good.

jy76
Zodiac: Sagittarius
United States of America

Postby jy76 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:17 pm

I've not tried it, but I'm guessing fried rice would be easy. It's simply adding eggs to rice I think. Anyway, Chinese people, at least the ones I knew on Saipan, liked to eat it with ketchup - and of course, Chinese restaurants anywhere in the world offer it.

ColdFlameChris
Philippines

Postby ColdFlameChris » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 pm

I'm no cook but I love to eat kimchi! I even eat it with just a rice. Kimchi has this taste that's addicting and boosting your appetite whenever you eat it. That's one of my favorite dishes from South Korea. :ugeek: :ugeek:

Folk Artist
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Zodiac: Aquarius
United States of America

Postby Folk Artist » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:30 pm

You could buy some used cookbooks on say Amazon, and some of these books are pretty cheap, and learn from them- they do have some good preparation visuals in these cookbooks as well. My favorite cookbooks are the ones that are part cookbook and artbook- and these usually have what the famous artist had to eat back in the day with their recipes along with some artwork in them as well. A couple of books I have, are Cezanne and Picasso, and what they had to eat back in the day- these two cookbooks include spanish cooking as well as french cooking.

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:44 am

The only foreign food that I have ever tested and cooked by myself is the Chinese noodles. They are very easy to be prepared, you don't need any manual or YouTube videos lesson or tutorials in order to learn how to prepare it. Normally, I prepare Chinese noodles once in a week for my kids, they enjoy eating it.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:42 pm

When it comes to Korean dishes my favorite is Beef Bulgogi and I can make a decent one. I've had lots of practice because a friend of mine worked in Korea and taught me how to cook beef Bulgogi.

All you need are beef strips which are then shredded and marinated with soysauce, sesame oil, chillies, garlic, sugar, pepper, and salt. Then grill it or simply stir fry it add sesame seeds and top it on rice along with some bean sprouts which was lightly sauteed and you're done.

Return to “Foods & Drinks”