strange foods

Give reviews and locations of different restaurants and the foods and drinks from around the world. Also share recipes or cooking and brewing techniques of different foods, wine, beer etc.
jecjec
Philippines

strange foods

Postby jecjec » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:50 pm

what is the strangest foods from your country. in the philippines some people still eat dog meat...yuck!

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Re: strange foods

Postby Alexandoy » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:44 am

There are so many strange food in our country but I decline to mention because it is degrading. What I want to say is about the unusual food in Thailand that we had experienced. In Bangkok, there was this ambulant vendor of cooked insects like bugs and scorpions. For a few cents (US), you can sample the insects and that's what we did just for the experience. The vendor said that it is a delicacy that Thais love because has been selling such insects for many years now. And I'd say, I didn't like the taste of the insects.

ricky1874
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Zodiac: Virgo
United States of America

Postby ricky1874 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:52 am

Alexandoy wrote:There are so many strange food in our country but I decline to mention because it is degrading. What I want to say is about the unusual food in Thailand that we had experienced. In Bangkok, there was this ambulant vendor of cooked insects like bugs and scorpions. For a few cents (US), you can sample the insects and that's what we did just for the experience. The vendor said that it is a delicacy that Thais love because has been selling such insects for many years now. And I'd say, I didn't like the taste of the insects.

I hope to travel to Thailand one day soon because I love to culture. I've seen so many videos on YouTube about the fried insects...I really want to try them one day. They really do look delicious.
"100 Countries Before I Die..."

ricky1874
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Zodiac: Virgo
United States of America

Postby ricky1874 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:57 am

I never could eat dog meat because I love dogs so much. But, where I'm from...in the southern parts of the USA...we eat alot of strange foods over here. One of the strangest foods is fried or stewed rabbit meat. I don't eat it now but when I was growing up, it was one of the main meals that we ate everyday.
"100 Countries Before I Die..."

mc@30
Philippines

Postby mc@30 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:16 pm

foreigners think that balot is strange and nasty but we filipinos love it. some foreigner like my bf tried it and love it. i think alot of foreigners don't like it because of the way it looks. but if they try it they might like it.
3491400_ad88f66067_o.jpg
Balot
3491400_ad88f66067_o.jpg (21.75 KiB) Viewed 6446 times

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:55 am

I really haven't eaten anything strange. If it's strange I usually refrain from eating it. But one time when I visited a friend in the province I ate a frog and it was delicious, the dish is called Reopening Palaka and it's deep-fried stuffed frogs.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:03 am

Here's a photo of the stuff frog or Rellenong Palaka I tried, and it really looks funny :D but it was really delicious.
Attachments
IMG_20180321_155901_619.jpg
IMG_20180321_155901_619.jpg (22.32 KiB) Viewed 6217 times

Henrywrites
Nigeria

Postby Henrywrites » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:01 am

I've got some couple of food that people in my country still take. It gets to the extent that I always wonder what they really think when they eat such meal. One of those food has got to be the snake soup eaten by the people living some far distance away from where we live. These set of people even come to our place in search of snakes to kill. I've tried to source the picture of such food online but couldn't and I wonder how they feel after taking such meal.

wallet
Romania

Postby wallet » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:58 am

Some strange meals from my country are to eating snails, or frog legs and maybe is not that strange to eat rabbits. I could never eat this things, especially rabbits because they are so cute. Thses days peole are eating almost anything, they have no restrictions, but I do, there are meals that I could never eat.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:34 am

There's a Filipino concoction traditionally made of goats innards but now they use cows innards and it's made into a soup along with bile that gives a pungent smell and bitter taste hence its local name of "Papalitan" in English "Made Bitter". I don't eat it because it has bile. Noone should eat that right?

Return to “Foods & Drinks”