Eating Worms in the Philippines

Give reviews and locations of different restaurants and the foods and drinks from around the world. Also share recipes or cooking and brewing techniques of different foods, wine, beer etc.
jeremydeth
United States of America

Eating Worms in the Philippines

Postby jeremydeth » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:10 am

I just came across this video on YouTube about some people in the Philippines eating Woodworms. Has anyone on this board from the Philippines tried these worms? If so, how do they taste? Is it like eating raw oysters? It looks disgusting but sometimes disgusting things actually taste great.

Here is the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_1RpILnIUM

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Re: Eating Worms in the Philippines

Postby Heatman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:22 pm

jeremydeth wrote:I just came across this video on YouTube about some people in the Philippines eating Woodworms. Has anyone on this board from the Philippines tried these worms? If so, how do they taste? Is it like eating raw oysters? It looks disgusting but sometimes disgusting things actually taste great.

Here is the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_1RpILnIUM

I'm actually not surprised at watching this video of people eating worms because I have seen it a lot in most Chinese movies that I have watched as well all through my childhood age. I think it's a kind of culture in such areas to eat such things. I have seen people eat snakes, maggots, worms and even dog meats.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:01 pm

It's locally called Tamilok or Woodworm. It's a local delicacy but it's only available in far provinces. Some say it taste like milk but I really don't have the intention of tasting it. Although we have worm burgers here too and it's delicious.

jeremydeth
United States of America

Postby jeremydeth » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:18 am

Kakashi2020 wrote:It's locally called Tamilok or Woodworm. It's a local delicacy but it's only available in far provinces. Some say it taste like milk but I really don't have the intention of tasting it. Although we have worm burgers here too and it's delicious.

Worm burgers? I didn't know that the Philippines had anything like that. I will definitely look for it the next time I visit the Philippines. Are the burgers sold all over the Phil?
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."

Steve5
Philippines

Postby Steve5 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:13 am

That's certainly exotic. I'm not surprised that other people still eat worms. I've read that in the past, most of us actually consumed insects. It was probably a time before the advancement of culinary arts. Most of our ancestors were aware of which insects were edible. Not only that, they knew which ones were the most nutritious and which ones tasted great. It's usually shared by the narrator in historic documentaries. :D

wallet
Romania

Postby wallet » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:14 am

I guess there are people who eat worms in all parts of the world because every country has exotic restaurants that are specific to certain foods. Personally, I can't eat worms, frogs, or any insects.

jayjaydimson
Philippines

Postby jayjaydimson » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:19 am

Eating work has good benefits because worms have a high protein and it also has an iron and amino acids, which help break down food and repair body tissue. Worms are a delicacy in some part of the Philippines, most especially in Province.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:51 am

jeremydeth wrote:
Kakashi2020 wrote:It's locally called Tamilok or Woodworm. It's a local delicacy but it's only available in far provinces. Some say it taste like milk but I really don't have the intention of tasting it. Although we have worm burgers here too and it's delicious.

Worm burgers? I didn't know that the Philippines had anything like that. I will definitely look for it the next time I visit the Philippines. Are the burgers sold all over the Phil?

Old folks knows this, it seems that the burger chains here have learned their lesson and are keeping it a secret. It started in the 80's when there's a surge of burger chains popping all over the metro and one of the them took the lead and became very successful because of its buy 1 take 1 promo, it was very affordable and the masses like the taste. One day the owner held a press conference and said the burgers where not made out of beef instead it's purely made out of cultured worm meat, veggies and extenders. The people where shocked and most of them shunned away from eating that brand. In the months that followed 90 percent of its branches closed shop. What people didn't realized is that most burger stands meaning most companies are using worms also. But it really tastes good and it's healthy too, I don't have any complaints and nowadays burgers are making a comeback and I'm sure that most of the new chains are also using worms. That's why most burger chains are not stating that their burgers are made from beef.

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:06 pm

wallet wrote:I guess there are people who eat worms in all parts of the world because every country has exotic restaurants that are specific to certain foods. Personally, I can't eat worms, frogs, or any insects.

Truth be told, I can't eat worms for any reason even if they are going to pay me money to eat them. Only the though of how the worms are moving around would make me throw up and pass out.

Nocturnal Thinker
Philippines

Postby Nocturnal Thinker » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:10 am

I am from the Philippines. It is no wonder that some Filipinos are eating worms. They know what kind of worms they are going to eat. They are skillful on that. In fact, other citizens of other countries are also eating worms. You know as per info I have known worms are very rich in protein.

Return to “Foods & Drinks”