Eating strange foods

Give reviews and locations of different restaurants and the foods and drinks from around the world. Also share recipes or cooking and brewing techniques of different foods, wine, beer etc.
jeremydeth
United States of America

Eating strange foods

Postby jeremydeth » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:25 am

Here's another crazy video that I saw on Youtube about a market that sells all kinds of exotic meats. It sold everything from snakes and bats to dogs and cats. But, this market was in Indonesian. My question is....what is the strangest meat or other food that you have ever tried?

Asia's SCARIEST Meat Market! Dog, Cat, Rat, Bat and more at Tomohon Market in North Sulawesi

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."

ricky1874
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Zodiac: Virgo
United States of America

Re: Eating strange foods

Postby ricky1874 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:49 am

The strangest food that I ever ate was "Balot" in the Philippines. It is a cooked baby duck in the egg. It looked like the most disgusting thing in the world but it actually tasted pretty good. I look forward to eating it again on my trip back to the Philippines...with some vinegar and redhorse beer.
"100 Countries Before I Die..."

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 am

Personally, I have eaten snakes and frog here in my country but there is a particular species of frogs that are edible most especially the black ones. I have witnessed where people eat dogs but I could not bring myself to eat a dog which I consider a pet and love so much.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:33 am

In my country old people keep telling me not to eat strange dishes/food more so in the distant provinces. Because in some provinces there are accounts of people getting poisoned when they eat a certain dish. Another tip my older friends and relatives have given me is that whenever I'm in a far place to just eat fast food or to buy / order roasted or fried chicken whole. Well you can't go wrong with chicken right? Because it's easily identifiable, it has wings and all.

daniel74
United States of America

Postby daniel74 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:18 pm

Where I live one of the stranger foods that's eaten is pig testicles. They call them "mountain oysters". Although I don't actually remember ever eating any, I'm pretty sure I probably did growing up as a kid. When you're a kid you don't have much choice as to what you're eating :lol:

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:34 pm

daniel74 wrote:Where I live one of the stranger foods that's eaten is pig testicles. They call them "mountain oysters". Although I don't actually remember ever eating any, I'm pretty sure I probably did growing up as a kid. When you're a kid you don't have much choice as to what you're eating :lol:

Jeez, eating pig testicles that sounds disgusting. I do enjoy pork but eating that part of its body is completely out of the question for me. I would literally vomit from just thinking about doing it.

kingsnite
United States of America

Postby kingsnite » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:36 pm

Heatman wrote:
daniel74 wrote:Where I live one of the stranger foods that's eaten is pig testicles. They call them "mountain oysters". Although I don't actually remember ever eating any, I'm pretty sure I probably did growing up as a kid. When you're a kid you don't have much choice as to what you're eating :lol:

Jeez, eating pig testicles that sounds disgusting. I do enjoy pork but eating that part of its body is completely out of the question for me. I would literally vomit from just thinking about doing it.

I will agree with you, but I think that eating snake is way worst. I've killed snakes before and their body's muscles keep twitching for hours afterwards. So, I guess in the end, it all depends on what type of environment you were raised in. Most people that I know would rather eat pig testicles than a snake.

anniebh4
United States of America

Postby anniebh4 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:27 am

I couldn't ever imagine eating any of the things in that video. I barely even eat meat now. But after watching this video, it seriously makes me want to consider becoming a vegetarian. :shock:

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:18 am

When the news of corona virus in Wuhan, China broke out the suspicion was the bats that were sold in the market for food. It reminded me of the bats in the province of my cousin that they catch for food. The meat tasted good, they say. But I declined when I was offered. My father had eaten bat meat many times.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:11 pm

I have not eaten any strange food. I have eaten only goats, chickens, ducks, water buffalo, and pigs, which are the common meat animals. I have see people eating snakes and scorpions (on TV) but I would never try eating these things.

Return to “Foods & Drinks”