The beverage called tuba

Give reviews and locations of different restaurants and the foods and drinks from around the world. Also share recipes or cooking and brewing techniques of different foods, wine, beer etc.
Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

The beverage called tuba

Postby Alexandoy » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:54 am

Tuba is a drink from the coconut tree that is distilled from the coconut flower. There are 2 kinds of tuba - a relaxing cool drink and an alcoholic drink. The fresh tuba is like a juice and is alcohol free. But the alcoholic tuba is more popular because it is the favorite drink of the old folks in the rural areas particularly in towns where there are coconut plantations. For the foreigners who come to visit the rural areas, don't fail to ask for tuba.

ricky1874
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Zodiac: Virgo
United States of America

Re: The beverage called tuba

Postby ricky1874 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:27 pm

This is the first time that I've heard about the tuba drink and I've been to the Philippines a few times. I watched a few videos on YouTube about it and it sounds and looks like a good drink to try out. I will definitely ask about it the next time I'm in the Philippines.

youtu.be/JvbsckwUavY
"100 Countries Before I Die..."

Folk Artist
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Zodiac: Aquarius
United States of America

Postby Folk Artist » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:20 pm

This sounds like a great drink, and it's made from the sap of various species of plam trees, and this alcoholic beverage is very popular in Asia, Africa, The Carribbean, South America, and Micronesia as well. They do call this by many names and in different regions like palm wine, matango, tumbu liquor, and white stuff in Cameroon.

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:04 pm

I don't drink tuba but among the 2 that you mentioned, I would like to try and drink the non-alcoholic one since I don't like bitter drinks in general. I wonder if I would like the taste.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:11 pm

It is good to know that in some resorts in provinces south of Manila like Laguna and Batangas, they have the fresh Tuba for their guests. At least the tuba is back again which is a good beverage especially for the foreigners. It is palm drink from the coconut flowers and was a big part of the Filipino culture.

Return to “Foods & Drinks”