Polygamous Marriages In Africa

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
sweerie_banana
Kenya

Polygamous Marriages In Africa

Postby sweerie_banana » Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:49 am

Hi? I hope you are well this weekend.
In my country and nearby continents, men are allowed to matty more than one wife. Can you be okay being the second or twelfth wife of someone and okay with sharing him with several other women?
This has been socially accepted as long as the man is financially capable of raising the family the society has learned to accept this culture, especially in West Africa.
I would agree if the man was prestigious and from one of the Prime members of the society. Africa has always been associated with poverty and no one is ready to endure suffering in the name of love.
The problem with most men they have second wives outside the homes without even their wife's acknowledgment. This has brought by major issues since there is a disease like AIDS, and they are neglecting their maternal homes for these wives that they have on the side.

In some countries, even prominent leaders like the president of South Africa Jacob Zum had more than one wife.
The late President Joseph Magufuli encouraged men to marry more than two wives in Tanzania since the ratio of women is higher compared to that of men.

Some other issues encountered with Polygamy include:

1. Death or fatal Accidents caused by one party
This is usually cause they are jealous of the other woman. Permanent scars have been infused on some women who are victims of being poured acids or hot chemicals such as oil or water.

2. Neglect
Some husbands usually neglect their families to take more wives. This leaves the main family feeling neglected and abandoned. They usually have to vend or look for money since the husband usually stops providing for the main family.
If you try and complain most women are battered and kicked out and the second wife gladly replaces them.
I wonder if this disease will ever end since so many families fall victim to this disease.

MonicaOr
United States of America

Re: Polygamous Marriages In Africa

Postby MonicaOr » Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:44 am

I could never...ever see myself sharing a man with another woman and knowing about it. And if he is secretly with another woman and I find out about it I would dump him in a heartbeat.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Thu May 27, 2021 11:06 pm

Our culture is divided on the issue of polygamy. Majority of the population (about 70%) are Christians that prohibit polygamy. Maybe 10% are Muslims who are allowed to have more than 1 wife. But for Christians it is getting common to have a legal wife plus an illegal wife. For me, I am a conservative Catholic and I cannot comprehend the life of a woman in a polygamous society.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Thu May 27, 2021 11:43 pm

How does the law treats polygamy? Is it legal? If it is protected by the law it needs to be changed. This undermines the very existence of women. If the law criminalized polygamy and yet it is rampant on the country, the government must be strict towards the implementation of the law. This is total un accepted in the modern society.

ricky1874
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Zodiac: Virgo
United States of America

Postby ricky1874 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:21 pm

Having one wife can be a headache haha....now just imagine have 10 or more. Way too stressful for me. :lol:
"100 Countries Before I Die..."

mildredtabitha
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Postby mildredtabitha » Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:12 am

I can never allow myself to be married in such a family, I can't share my husband it is not right. I better stay unmarried than be in such a relationship, that is degrading.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:38 pm

As far as I know, Muslim society is polygamous. The Holy Quran says men can marry up to 4 women. That's why polygamy is widely prevalent in places where there is a high number of Muslim people. In Christianity and Judaism, you cannot manny again until you are divorced from the first.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”