Philippine Languages

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
cebuanna
Philippines

Philippine Languages

Postby cebuanna » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:57 pm

There are between 120 and 175 languages spoken in the Philippines wherein Filipino in the form of Tagalog serves as the official language and English is the second official language. About 55% of the Filipinos speak Tagalog. There are 9 dialects that are widely spoken, including Ilocano (the language of approximately 11 million in northern Luzon), and Cebuano (by 16 million on and around the island of Cebu). - See more at: http://www.cebuanas.com/blog/2014/06/25/Administrator/philippine-languages

Novelangel

Re: Philippine Languages

Postby Novelangel » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:46 am

How interesting, and how shocking to find out that there are so many different languages in one country. I imagine that this grew out of the fact that the entire country consists of islands. I'm curious whether or not the modern conveniences of domestic flight might join the different peoples of the Philippines more closely as one, and someday promote a more universal language. I suppose it could happen, although it might take a while. I know that many Filipinos often speak several languages as easily as they speak one, so perhaps they will simply compensate by learning other cultural languages as they travel around. In my country there is basically one language, although there are small sub-groups that speak foreign languages. The major difference here is that we have differing accents throughout the country which helps us to identify where other people came from.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”