Turn Your Face

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
DreamingKpop

Turn Your Face

Postby DreamingKpop » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:43 pm

I'm in the middle of trying to figure out etiquette in South Korea. One of them that I find interesting is that you never pour yourself a drink and that you should always pour your superiors their drinks. Though the strangest for me is that you aren't allowed to drink facing your superior or elders, you should turn to the side to drink. And if have a superior sitting on both sides of you, you're supposed to turn around completely in your seat to drink because it's rude not to.

DR KOKIL AGARWAL
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
India

Re: Turn Your Face

Postby DR KOKIL AGARWAL » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:08 pm

This is something strange. This kind of tradition must have been developed only for the sake of respect for adults and superiors.

Here in my country usually younger generation avoids drinking and smoking in front of their elders. Both of these acts are not considered good and doing them in front of the elders shows personal indecency and lack of respect. Turning the face is not acceptable. Youngers don't do it at all in front of the elders.

As far as turning the face is considered, have you personally witnessed this somewhere? What was your reaction when you saw this happening for the first time? Please share. I would love to read about your experience.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”