Is wife inheritance still practiced?

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
mildredtabitha
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Is wife inheritance still practiced?

Postby mildredtabitha » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:56 am

I know some tribes that do practice wife inheritance. The wife is inherited by the brother to her husband only if the husband dies. I also know this cultural practice has been discouraged so as to curb HIV/AIDs.

I don't know if wife inheritance is a good or bad thing because I haven't witnessed it from where I'm from. Is wife inheritance still practiced at your place?

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Re: Is wife inheritance still practiced?

Postby Alexandoy » Sun May 30, 2021 3:17 am

I think it is in India that this wife inheritance is practiced. In our culture there is no such thing although there are cases that when a brother dies the surviving brother would take care of the widow. Later on there will be closeness and the widow would be pregnant again. That happened to my own grandmother whose husband died. But she got close to the husband of her sister and the rest is history.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Re: Is wife inheritance still practiced?

Postby justin » Sun May 30, 2021 11:38 pm

In our culture, when a wife dies, it was common for the husband to marry his wife's sister especially when he had kids. This practice ensured that the deceased woman's kids were properly looked after (because the man marries his wife's sister). However, this cultural practice is not very common these days. Wife inheritance is not in practice in my culture.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”