Squirrel and Rabbit meat

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
jeremydeth
United States of America

Squirrel and Rabbit meat

Postby jeremydeth » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:19 am

I'm from the southern part of the United States. A lot of people from where I am from, grew up eating Squirrel and Rabbit meat. Squirrel and rabbit hunting was very popular when I was growing up. We either cooked the meat as barbecue or as a stew. Did anyone else grow up in a culture where eating these two kinds of meat was OK?

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."

mildredtabitha
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Re: Squirrel and Rabbit meat

Postby mildredtabitha » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:07 am

I am so happy to learn about your culture. I never knew squirrel could be eaten too. Although I have never tasted rabbit meat, there are many people who eat rabbit in my country. Some keep rabbit and sell them at a very high price.

I have only eaten meat for chicken, cow, fish, carmel, goat and pig. :D

jeremydeth
United States of America

Postby jeremydeth » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:03 pm

mildredtabitha wrote:I am so happy to learn about your culture. I never knew squirrel could be eaten too. Although I have never tasted rabbit meat, there are many people who eat rabbit in my country. Some keep rabbit and sell them at a very high price.

I have only eaten meat for chicken, cow, fish, carmel, goat and pig. :D

I've eaten everything that you mentioned except camel meat. There are no camels where I live, but I've always wondered how they taste. I've traveled a little in my life and I know that sometimes you may think something tastes nasty by its looks. And then when you actually try it...it actually taste delicious.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."

daniel74
United States of America

Postby daniel74 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:47 am

I'm from the south also. When I was younger I ate both of them. But now I think I would get sick if I tried to eat any of it. But, I've been in some of the local grocery stores and saw that they were selling rabbit meat.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:17 pm

When I was a student I bought 2 rabbits for a pet. The female rabbit got pregnant and gave birth. Within 1 year my rabbits were 6 already and still growing fast. My father said that rabbit meat is edible and exotic in some countries. But being a pet, I didn't have the heart to eat rabbit meat. I just sold my rabbits to end the story.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:18 pm

Rabbit meat is considered exotic food here. rabbit meat is very popular and also very high priced. Different kinds of dishes are made, for example, biryani (some sort of fried rice), roast, gravy, etc. However, I have not tasted rabbit mean. Squirrels are not considered meat animals here, even though I hear that some people eat squirrel meat.

sweerie_banana
Kenya

Postby sweerie_banana » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:13 am

I love the Rabbit meat, though I have never tasted the Squirrel meat. I find it very delicious especially if you stew it or roast it.

It is also very pricy here that is why I considered farming them on our farm. I think if you start with a male and female rabbit they can easily breed, and you can have a whole farm full of them. That is my next project. I think I'm rich after this post.

Unfortunately, we have dogs. I hope they won't eat the rabbits.

Hova
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Postby Hova » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:57 am

I had a small piece of rabbit meat when I was like 10 years old or something and I loved. I think I'm going to get it once I find out where I can buy it.

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:30 pm

No I haven't tasted that particular kind of meat yet, I live in the Philippines and the illegal meat that we have here are the meat of goat and dogs.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:54 am

dottie wrote:No I haven't tasted that particular kind of meat yet, I live in the Philippines and the illegal meat that we have here are the meat of goat and dogs.

The goat meat is the best dish when you are drinking beer or liquor. Drinkers here say that goat's meat is very delicious with beer. However, it is quite expensive here and the dish called "caldereta" is not common which means it is not easy to cook. You can order in the restaurant that caters to the foreigners for such meat.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”