Asian wedding culture

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
Daniel

Asian wedding culture

Postby Daniel » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:56 am

After enjoying the dc cherry blossom tour in March I will attend one Asian wedding ceremony with some friends. Frankly speaking, because this, I have never been attended any kind Asian function in my life. That;'s why I have no idea regarding this and want to get information about the culture of Asina wedding ceremony before going there. Because through this I can enjoy the function there.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Re: Asian wedding culture

Postby Alexandoy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:32 pm

Asian countries have different rituals and activities for weddings. In the Philippines, there are traditions depending on the province. There's a cute ritual where the bride and groom are showered with rice as a symbol of abundance. There's also the money dance where the couple will be dancing and the guests would be pinning money on the clothes of the couple. And definitely, the food is great in general.

davidworth
United States of America

Postby davidworth » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:48 am

Alexandoy wrote:Asian countries have different rituals and activities for weddings. In the Philippines, there are traditions depending on the province. There's a cute ritual where the bride and groom are showered with rice as a symbol of abundance. There's also the money dance where the couple will be dancing and the guests would be pinning money on the clothes of the couple. And definitely, the food is great in general.

I was actually at a Filipino wedding one time and experienced the "money dance". It was amazing. I had so much fun. They also had a moment where they released a dove. I definitely hope to be able to experience a few more of these wedding celebrations in my lifetime. :)
Discover all things abroad

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:32 am

I have never attended any Asian wedding in real life to know what they do but I have seen some wedding scene in some of the Asian movies that I have watched. So, if what they portray in their movies is part of their culture ; you are well aware that some countries propagate their culture through movies, then I can tell you to expect lots of dancing during the celebration. If you are the drinking type, get ready because you will have your belly filled with drinks. Try and get quality gifts for the bride especially jade beads.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:37 pm

Asia is not one cultural continent, there are many cultures. Cultures not only vary according to the countries but also within the country. India alone has hundreds of different cultures and traditons. Therefore, you cannot label something as Asian culture, you need to be specific such as Chinese Wedding, Indian wedding, Muslim wedding, etc.

Rayone
India

Postby Rayone » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:06 pm

Very few will believe what happens during the 5-7 days which is the minimum length of an arranged marriage in my religion. It starts with the girl's side going to the boy's house and offering them all the necessary items which a couple will need in their future married life. This could include all the domestic gadgets, furniture, utensils, kitchen appliances, etc. The boy's side comes back with return gifts for their future daughter-in-law.
The next five days pass with lots of fanfare, parties, and rituals. Finally, the wedding night comes which is an 8-10 hours ceremony. The boy and girl tie the sacred naught in front of religious men and then the girl goes with her husband leaving all her relatives in pain and crying.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:55 pm

The modern wedding now has a long program that includes guessing game on the details of the bride and groom. There is also a parlor game of dancing and singing. The usual solemn wedding reception is now an entertainment program. Mind you, there are prizes to the winners of the parlor game which is really absurd.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:17 pm

Hindu wedding, popular in India and Nepal, is very eleborate. The wedding functions run for over a week. It begins with worshipping gods and ends with feasting. However, in recent times, most of the rituals have been dropped and the wedding is completed in just 3 days. Some people prefer to avoid the rituals completely.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Sun Feb 20, 2022 2:39 am

In some Asian countries the fixed marriage is still followed by some parents. One story of a fixed marriage is that the bride and groom eloped so that they can live away from each other and to avoid marriage. That was a great thing to defy the parents and the culture because it is impossible to be happy if you are married to a person that you do not love.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”