Holy Week in the Philippines

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Holy Week in the Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:34 am

One of the best religious traditions can be experienced in the Philippines during the Holy Week, that is the week before Easter. We have the singing of the Passion of Christ from Maundy Thursday to Good Friday although there are places that hold the singing for 7 days, 24 hours. There's also the cenaculo which is the live stage play of the passion of Christ and on Friday, the most awaited penitents who whip themselves for the forgiveness of sins. The culmination of the penitent walk is the makeshift golgotha where a penitent is crucified.

Henrywrites
Nigeria

Re: Holy Week in the Philippines

Postby Henrywrites » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:12 am

The Holy week is that period when we should understand the need for us to have that reflection about the agony and death of Christ Jesus. This is the period we should ask God to forgive our sins and always pray that he continues to be with us till the end of time. As a Christian, I always believe that the period of Easter is the most important phase of our Christian life.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:59 am

I still remember what Holy Week was in the Philippines back in the 70's and 80's, it was quiet and all the small stores and malls or rather Department Stores as it was called then where closed. Offices are open until Tuesday only, and some closed shop for the whole week.

People went to their provinces to celebrate holy week in droves but no merrymaking or fun stuff allowed. There's an unwritten rule that everyone should be quiet and to talk in low voices, it was not proper to shout or speak loudly nor play happy and modern music. I remember when I was a kid and I cant watch TV because there wasn't a single station broadcasting.

During holy week kids weren't allowed to eat meat only fish and vegetables and meek food where prepared and eaten as sacrifice. I spent my days reading when im in the city, but whenever we spend time in the province, I roam around alot with my brothers and cousins, we went to a stream where we bathe and catch fish and crabs.

Then when Friday came or Viernes Santo, kids were virtually inside their h omes, and weren't allowed to go out. Stories about ghosts and other creatures of the dark told by old family members was a good deterrent to keep the kids quiet and inside the house. My parents and relatives would play cards at night and some would drink alcohol but still everyone's quiet.

And come Easter Sunday, the most awaited day of the whole Holy Week, I remember always waking up early to attend Easter Mass at dawn, celebrating the risen Christ. On Easter Sunday we could play again and theres good food on the table and everyone's in a celebratory mood, with party's and music in every corner.Those where my memories of long ago.

kaka135
Malaysia

Postby kaka135 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:43 am

Thank you for sharing how Holy Week is celebrated. I am not a Christian, and I got to know about Easter only when I went to Australia and what I experienced about Easter was bunnies and eggs decorated and sold everywhere. I did not quite understand why it's celebrated that way until a friend told me more about Good Friday and Easter, and that's not how they celebrated in church. I think it's a good time for reflection, and I will find out more information about this. Thanks again for sharing!

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:01 pm

I believe that Holy week applies to all Christians who believe in the suffering and death of our lord Jesus Christ who suffered, was crucified and died on the cross for our sins and salvation.

We celebrate this juncture of our Christian faith with fasting and keeping ourselves holy till the event of the death of our lord Jesus Christ. It's followed by his resurrection.

mdayrit
Philippines

Postby mdayrit » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:43 am

When I was a kid, holy week is always a memorable vacation for me. Usually we would spend it in our Grandmothers' house in Bulacan. It is where I experience the traditional way of celebrating holy week. My cousins and me will spend hours sitting with the elders who are reading the "pabasa". After that we would eat with them the meal prepared by volunteers. We also visit old churches and pray. There are churches that show "senakulo" so we would watch it. Aside from play in churches about the life of Jesus, you can watch it at the comfort of your home. Almost all TV stations are showing stories from the bible.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”