Offering a meal to unexpected guest

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Offering a meal to unexpected guest

Postby Alexandoy » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:09 pm

When an unexpected guest arrives before meal time it is our culture to offer the guest To partake of our meal. When there are more than 1 guest the wife would cook an extra dish so the meal will fit all the people in the house. This culture persists until now particularly in the rural areas.

sweerie_banana
Kenya

Re: Offering a meal to unexpected guest

Postby sweerie_banana » Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:45 am

I believe it is proper etiquette to cater to your guests when they come to visit. I normally find it stressful when there are many guests coming over cause we normally make different cuisines of food. We always love welcoming our guests and making them feel at home. I always try and compromise what I was doing and try and cater to them cause guests are a blessing to our lives.

I know with the ongoing pandemic none of us is having plenty of guests visiting. We should learn to social distance despite the urge of loneliness that we may be experiencing. I cannot wait for the Covid 19 to be eradicated from this world so that we can access our friends and visit our relatives without any boundaries.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:46 am

Honoring guests is our culture. We even have an old saying that translates as "Guests are gods, and gods arrive in the house of a person who is worthy of serving gods. One of the best ways to serve guests is by asking them to have food and stay in the house.

mildredtabitha
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Postby mildredtabitha » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:56 am

I have also seen my parents do that ever since i was kid.But i did not like how my parents loved pleasing guests to the extent where they can borrow food on deep from the shop and cook for them,the guests eat fish while your taking veggies.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”