Eating Dog Meat?

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
jeremydeth
United States of America

Eating Dog Meat?

Postby jeremydeth » Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:11 am

I recently say a video on Youtube about people eating dogs. Is this a tradition shared with alot of countries or just with a few ...like in China. Here is the video that I saw. "Dining on Dogs in Yulin: VICE Reports (Part 1/2)"

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness."

to7update
Portugal

Re: Eating Dog Meat?

Postby to7update » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:22 am

I think it's all a matter of a habit to eat dog meat, like for example in China. My aunt was in China some years ago and they get to pick the live dogs and they are cooked in the moment. Scary for some cultures, but the French eat snails and frog legs for example, what is scarier?

lolita
Nepal

Postby lolita » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:56 am

I have never eaten dog meat and I will never eat dog meat. I am a dog owner, I have a dog as a pet in my house. For me, pet is also a member of the family. Would I eat my family member. I would not eat dog meat, even if the meat is from different dog.Dog is human beings' best friend.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:13 am

Dog meat is a delicacy in the northern part of the Philippines particularly in Mountain Province where dog meat is part of their religious rites. Animal protection groups like PAWS cannot do anything. Banning such tradition will run counter to their culture. What the government can do is to outlaw the transport of live or dead dogs for eating purposes. Some eateries in those towns serve dishes made of dog meat.

to7update
Portugal

Postby to7update » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Alexandoy wrote:Dog meat is a delicacy in the northern part of the Philippines particularly in Mountain Province where dog meat is part of their religious rites. Animal protection groups like PAWS cannot do anything. Banning such tradition will run counter to their culture. What the government can do is to outlaw the transport of live or dead dogs for eating purposes. Some eateries in those towns serve dishes made of dog meat.

There you go, precisely what I was saying above, for some is unthinkable, for others is a delicacy with deep cultural roots. If we think of it, what's the difference between a dog or a rabbit? Many people these days have rabbits as pets, and we eat them all the time, so it's not strange for me that people eat dogs too.

penny
New Zealand

Postby penny » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:20 pm

It is not something I would do, but objectively speaking if you think it is okay to eat animals it is hard to say why eating one species should be condoned and eating another condemned. I just ate a shared a bacon sandwich with my dogs. That's my culture. But I know that in terms of their intellect and emotions nothing really separates the pig from the dog.

There is a great book about how humans think about animals written by Hal Herzog: "Some We Love, Some we Hate, Some we Eat".

jy76
Zodiac: Sagittarius
United States of America

Postby jy76 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:02 am

In South Korea, the biggest problem isn't the eating of dogs but rather the manner in which they are killed. The killing is very inhumane.

Anyhow, i never eocountered dog eating, though I heard about it, when in South Korea. There were no out in the open dog restaurants and I could tell cause I could read Korean somewhat. In fact, I'd have to say probably most Koreans are appaled at dog eating, based on conversations at the ESL school, and it's mostly some dying cultural tradition. Nonetheless, some really socially conservative Koreans are very annoyed at the western dislike of the practice, viewing it as an intrusion into thier private affairs.

Faerie

Postby Faerie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:54 pm

@Jeremydeth I don't want to gross you out too much but there are many low-grade restaurants around the globe, even in the USA and UK that target stray cats and dogs to get some free meat for their burgers.
Since most restaurant burgers are basicaly minced meat with spices and breadcrumbs no one could tell the difference between beef and dog unless they've tried dog before.
So there's a chance that both you and me have been fed dog meat before without having knowledge of it.

Now even if it were legal to eat dog consciously, I would be seriously concerned with how the meat was acquired. I haven't heard yet of any kind of 'proper' canine nurturing facility...Other than that it wouldn't bother me too much if I were faced with starvation, but they do say that the uglier the animal the tastier the meat, and I tend to agree, so there's high chance I won't like it.

maxen57

Postby maxen57 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Yu Lin is in China.

Admittedly, there used to be a culture here where dog meat was eaten but it was since outlawed a few years ago and those who are caught transporting stray dogs for eating went to jail. We already have a strong animal rights advocacy here in the Philippines and animal rights groups such as Philippine Animal Welfare Society (PAWS) and CARA Welfare Philippines. We are fighting hard to make sure that those who are in line with animal abuse and unlawful animal killings are met with the hard hand of justice. PAWS and CARA have their own website if you'd like to check them out.

http://www.paws.org.ph
http://www.caraphil.org

kamai

Postby kamai » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:24 pm

Yes, I've heard of this and actually seen videos on how dogs are tortured. Where I live many restaurants were shut down because Chinese restaurants were selling dog meat when they were supposed to be selling chicken. There's a lot of stray dogs walking the streets here and I bet those are the dogs they used.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”