Eating Dog Meat?

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
aceinter001
Philippines

Re: Eating Dog Meat?

Postby aceinter001 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:38 am

Eating dog meat may be a cultural thing for some people as cited by our fellow commentors but there are actually health risks associated with this practice of eating dogs. First, a sick dog if eaten can pose some health risks for people who consume the contaminated dog meat. Second, we are not sure what dogs actually consume like we do for chicken and pigs that can be kept in a place and have controlled eating. Dogs can be our pets but they may eat things that we are not aware of and be harmful substances that can be passed on to their predators. A dog with rabies or some other sickness can therefore be an unhealthy meal.

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Re: Eating Dog Meat?

Postby Kakashi2020 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:39 am

In the Philippines there was a time in the past that dog meat can be seen being sold in markets more so in the northern provinces which has a fair to cold climate. It is said that dog meat when eaten makes the body hot that's why a lot of people preferred eating it then. Nowadays it's an illegal act and those who kill, cook, sells, eats dog meat can be arrested and jailed because of a law that prohibits cruelty to animals. But in some provinces where it's considered a cultural thing, they still eat dog meat. I have eaten dog meat dishes a lot of times in the past and it does really taste better than both pork or goat meat. I think the last time I've eaten some was about 20 years ago.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”