Eating Dog Meat?

Share and explain the culture and traditions of your country/region or any other place you've been to. Also post any questions you have.
Michealm
Canada

Re: Eating Dog Meat?

Postby Michealm » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:53 am

I think it happens in lots of Asian countries. I have some friends from the Philippines that also eat dog meat. But, for me, I would have to be starving in order for me to ever eat anything like that.

nicksab

Postby nicksab » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:35 pm

Although I have heard of this and have seen restaurants in Korea and China first hand that advertise this, I would say they are few and far between these days. I am not saying it does not happen anymore but I do believe that the popularity of the dishes are decreasing with younger generations in these countries. I think the stigma of the dish is more discerning for the younger generations and they do not have as strong of a connection with the traditional aspect of the dish nor the responsibilities to carry on with such an off putting dish. That is just my observance from my travels. I know it is still out there but the good news would be that it is not nearly as popular as it was int eh past and seems to becoming less appealing as the years roll on.

DreamingKpop

Postby DreamingKpop » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Honestly, I know that dogs have been our pets for a while now but they're still animals. I don't know why it's okay to raise chickens and pigs for food but not dogs. My biggest problem with the dog market is when people kidnap actual pets to put on someone's plate. That's crossing the line, but if they are raising them for food, I don't care. At this point, there is a farm for everything from crocodiles, turtles, horse, and ostriches. Why should dogs get a pass?

remnant

Postby remnant » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:41 am

I am liberal in my tastes and tolerant of other cultures. In my community, until recently, it was taboo to eat fish and pork but people have embraced them. But I would not eat dog meat since I consider them as pets and worth of our reciprocal respect. I would not eat any animal that consumes flesh due to energy loss at various trophic levels.

mauricioq

Postby mauricioq » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:38 am

Yeah it's known to eat dog meat in china. In Portugal, we don't have that habit, and personally I already tasted it and I don't like it at all. It's definitely not the best food to eat, and in my opinion, people are going to quit in the future.

Eleonor

Postby Eleonor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:05 pm

I'm a dog lover and I feel sad that some people actually enjoy them as food instead of companion or pet. Dogs are highly intelligent and loyal animals and they don't deserve such treatment. People who eat dog meat aren't even aware that they could get rabies by eating a rabid dog. There are no dog farms in the Philippines as killing dogs for meat is outlawed in the country so the source of dog meat is highly dubious.

kaka135
Malaysia

Postby kaka135 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:39 am

I have always heard that, Chinese can eat almost anything as long as the back of the animal is facing the sky. That's not really true, as I also read some Chinese eat the brain of the monkey, some even eat it while the monkey is still alive. I feel disgusted even thinking about this. I am not offending Chinese, as I am also a Chinese, but I think this happens to be some "culture" of certain places, and they still carry it until today. I read that China has also banned the people from eating dog meat, but there are still people secretly eating it.

harijobs
India

Postby harijobs » Thu Jun 22, 2017 5:54 am

I too came across this news that dog's meat is again being served in China. I find it really sad because may of them have owned dogs and dogs are man's best friend. I cannot imagine people eating dog's meat. I have two dogs in my home and we show affection towards them as they are also a member of our family. If it is a cultural tradition there is nothing can be done. :cry: :cry:

potentialwriter
Zodiac: Gemini
Nigeria

Postby potentialwriter » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:30 am

It is true that some people eat dogs in certain parts of the world, but that is not a tradition in most of these countries. Although it might be a culture in other places, some people just count it as pleasure claiming that its meat contains a lot of fats and oil. Anyway, it has never been heard anywhere that eating dog meat has any side effect on the body. That's even part of the reasons people eat the meat like snacks. Some people fry the meat before eating while many others eat without frying at all.

hallowishie
Philippines

Postby hallowishie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:34 am

I personally do not eat dog meat. However, some people I know says that it's quite fatty, and extremely fragrant. Human consumption of dog meat has been recorded in many parts of the world, especially in Asia. Culture is part of the reason why some people eat dog meat and makes it a tradition. As mentioned, although facing international opposition and widespread criticism, the sale, preparation and consumption of dog meat is a tradition to some countries and some even includes during their festivals.

Return to “Culture & Traditions”