Phl crime rate up by 46%

Talk, comment or ask any question about things not covered in any of the topics below.
pennynf16

Phl crime rate up by 46%

Postby pennynf16 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:40 pm

Original link: https://sg.news.yahoo.com/phl-crime-rate-46-000000486.html

While the Philippine National Police (PNP) claimed a 60 percent decrease in crimes in Metro Manila, the number of crimes committed nationwide increased by about 46 percent during the first six months of the year as compared to the same period last year.

Records from the PNP Directorate for Investigation and Detective Management (DIDM) showed that theft, car theft, physical injuries and rape were among the crimes that had a huge increase.

The PNP said 885,445 crimes were reported from January to June, compared to 603,085 cases during the same period last year.

There were 352,321 index crimes for the first six months of the year, which is 37.3 percent more than the 256,592 cases reported in the same period last year.

Index crimes include murder, homicide, rape, robbery and theft while non-index crimes include estafa, prostitution, kidnapping and car theft.

PNP-DIDM records indicated that from 86,451 thefts recorded in the first six months of 2014, this ballooned to 105,229 cases this year while cases of car theft jumped to 10,039 from 5,599 last year.

Murders increased from 5,004 cases to 7,245 cases this year while homicides were up to 6,607 from 4,091 last year.

Cases of physical injury increased to 182,886 from 122,084 last year while rapes increased to 8,288 this year from 5,069 last year.

The PNP said 172,959 index crimes were “cleared” – settled between the complainant and the respondent – and 100,938 last year.

Index crimes “solved” – meaning charges were filed in court – were reported at 134,074 cases this year compared to 74,172 last year.

The PNP earlier announced that crime rate in Metro Manila was reduced by 60 to 70 percent due to the systematic implementation of Oplan Lambat-Sibat, an anti-crime drive supervised by Interior and Local Government Secretary Manuel Roxas II.

Roxas and the PNP announced a plan to implement Oplan Lambat-Sibat in Central Luzon and Calabarzon (Cavite, Laguna, Batangas, Rizal and Quezon).

Under Oplan Lambat-Sibat, police officers set up surprise checkpoints, raid or visit the homes of delinquent gun owners, intensify intelligence-gathering and operations against organized crime groups and aggressively pursue fugitives.

The PNP also puts pressure on officials who head city and municipal police forces as well as station and precinct commanders to produce results in the fight against crime.

abelinc
Philippines

Re: Phl crime rate up by 46%

Postby abelinc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:46 pm

The figure is appalling! It may sound as bad, but I think like any other country in the world the Philippines is NO different. Yes, it doesn't have a zero crime rate. But which country has it? While the report may be true, one must employ proper perspective. Remember the Philippines is compose of 7,100++ islands. What I'm saying is the figure MAY NOT be representative of the entire Philippines. One should take news like this with caution. I remember once that prior to my travel to Bangkok, the news in my home country is of a dangerous Bangkok. The news I saw on TV where of Thais killing each other and the protests in the streets of Bangkok were truly life threatening. In fact, one of my companion ALMOST didn't come with us because her father forbid her to push ahead with the travel plan because of the news we are seeing. My friend changed her mind and eventually came with us. The moment we arrived in Bangkok, we really didn't feel threatened at all. Sure, we saw remnants of the riots - but there was NO danger at all. My point is, be cautious. Don't let fear get in the way of your visiting places like the Philippines because of nasty news like this. Wherever you may be in the world, the possibility of crime can happen, even in your home country.
Check out the Philippines @ http://www.bisdak.org

Novelangel

Postby Novelangel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:13 pm

I think the important thing to remember is that no matter where you go in this world, you must always be prepared for anything, and when traveling overseas, this usually means having the involvement of someone from the country you are visiting. Always have someone waiting for you when you arrive, who can make sure you get where you need to be and are protected. Crime is everywhere, unfortunately, and we must deal with it by being absolutely aware of it and not burying our heads in the sand and pretending it can't touch us.

maxen57

Postby maxen57 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:21 pm

Novelangel wrote:I think the important thing to remember is that no matter where you go in this world, you must always be prepared for anything, and when traveling overseas, this usually means having the involvement of someone from the country you are visiting. Always have someone waiting for you when you arrive, who can make sure you get where you need to be and are protected. Crime is everywhere, unfortunately, and we must deal with it by being absolutely aware of it and not burying our heads in the sand and pretending it can't touch us.

This is why we have forums like this so we can meet people from around the world, particularly people from countries we would like to visit. As for the crime rate here in the Philippines, well, what else is new? We have no death penalty, the police are equally corrupt, everyone is pointing fingers, the people are waiting for a superhero instead of a leader and the current administration has served its less than satisfactory term. The elections on Monday (May 9th) will be the turning point of the next few years in this country. As much as I hate election season, I've decided that I'm going to vote again after all but I'm only voting for candidates I like.

mauricioq

Postby mauricioq » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:39 am

Crime is slowly raising everywhere, based on recent studies. As others have already said, you should be prepared for this type of situations. But we shouldn't be afraid of it, because that's a great way to keep the crime rising, we should fight against it.

nnacrter
Philippines

Postby nnacrter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:42 am

Maybe surveys are fake. To the protesters or against and who don't lived in the Philippines, it's a hoax. Philippines is better now than Yellow administration. It's safer now to walk in the night before curfew hours. President Duterte made Philippines better and even now still, He's consistent to make it more better country. Maybe not all policeman in Philippines are good. But there's many more policemen left that are trustworthy, patriotic, responsible and sincere at work.

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:25 am

It's not surprising since the law in the Philippines is not well enforced, a lot of police and government officials are prone to be bribed, so no wonder the crime rate is increasing.

Return to “General Questions & Comments”