What if parents don't want the person you love?

Talk, comment or ask any question about things not covered in any of the topics below.
mildredtabitha
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

What if parents don't want the person you love?

Postby mildredtabitha » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:04 am

Maybe I have seen this happening in movies but I know it has happened in real life as well. You love someone but when you introduce him or her to your parents, they get rejected.

This could be because of tribe, cultural social values or even religion. I don't understand why there should be barriers when people already love each other. What would you do if the person you love is not accepted by your parents?

potentialwriter
Zodiac: Gemini
Nigeria

Re: What if parents don't want the person you love?

Postby potentialwriter » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:28 am

If it happens that your parents don't love the person you love, then try and convince them and let them see why you love such a person. If you are able to convince them, then move forward with him, but if not, it's high time you stopped going out with him. Going further in such a relationship could be disastrous in as much as your biological parents never gave their consent to it. In such circumstances, it's better to find another person that your parents would want you to marry.

Henrywrites
Nigeria

Postby Henrywrites » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:46 am

This is simply a tough question that needs proper analysis before providing an answer to it. First and foremost, I wouldn't want to be in a situation where my parents should disagree with my choice of wife when I want to marry for it is going to be tough leaving someone you've grown to love and care for simply on the basis that your parents didn't want the marriage to go through.

For me, if I eventually find myself in such situation, I am not going to have clashes with my parents for that won't bring any positive solution to the matter at hand. Rather, I will try to have a heart-to-heart discussion with my parents where I will explain the reasons I want to marry such lady and educate them on the need not to discriminate among tribes and religion. I believe that when I'm through with the explanations, a positive outcome must definitely come out of it.

ColdFlameChris
Philippines

Postby ColdFlameChris » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:08 am

It's a good thing that my mom is not like that. She accept anyone who comes to my life wholeheartedly and won't judge her base on her appearance or status, as long as she me happy. For your question, I do believe that you're the one who suppose to fight for the woman you love no matter what your parents say to your partner and she/he should accept the fact that it's not gonna easy to earn their trust since your parents always wants what's best for you.

fern2x2001
Philippines

Postby fern2x2001 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:06 am

This is really a difficult question because it's, more or less, like choosing between your parents and the one that you love. I think you should ask your parents what are the reason why they don't want or like the person you love. And from the response of your parents, you should really analyze if they have a point about their concerns or they are just afraid or scared or worried about your welfare when you end up with the person you love. If they are just worried, then you just have to prove to your parents that your relationship with the person you love is good for you. You could do that by showing them how your relationship grows and not alienating your parents to your relationship.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:12 am

There is no doubt the parents are not like that person which we love due to culture religion and other things. But according to my point of view, some parents reject that person because they think that we are not capable to select any person for our self. Anyhow, still yet I have not faced this kind of situation but mostly girls and boys are facing this issue in their real life.

niagara falls from new york by bus is my next tour.

mildredtabitha
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Postby mildredtabitha » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:14 am

I also agree that talking to the parents and trying to convince them to accept the person you love can be the only solution. It will be a tough decision to leave the person you love and be on your parents side but everything happens for a reason.

As for me, I really don't know what I would do. Maybe involving a third party or just pray to God about the situation.

wallet
Romania

Postby wallet » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:53 am

You are right, I have seen this in the movies as well, but this never happened to me. When I have presented my wife to my parents they have said that I can do what I want if I love her to marry her, they had nothing against it and they never told me if they have really liked her or not, but they have accepted her for me.

DR KOKIL AGARWAL
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
India

Postby DR KOKIL AGARWAL » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:07 pm

This is a very common scenario these days. With the increase in the incidences of love marriages it is more likely that the parents do not like the partner chosen by their children. The dislike can be in terms of looks, caste, race, family background or financial status.Thankfully, nowadays,all because of the changing mentality of adults, parents usually accept their children's choice.

But, there are cases when the adults act stringently and do not give in. I think in such cases both the parents and the children should try to understand each others point. Any problem, no matter how big it is always holds a solution. So, it is better to solve the problem in a calm and composed manner.

TingJ
Philippines

Postby TingJ » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:27 pm

Oh! I experienced this before. Unfortunately, the parents of my boyfriend did not like me. After having sad experiences for this, we still continued our relationship. Until such time, I gave up. My only comment for this is that the guy should stand firm to the love for his girlfriend. What happened to me is that he wanted to please his mother and at the same time he could not leave me. It was a dilemma on his part. I pitied him so I gave up. My reason is to free him. :D

Return to “General Questions & Comments”