Can you remarrying if still married abroad?

Ask and share information about any visa process that you have or have experience. Feel free to post links also.
ricky1874
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Zodiac: Virgo
United States of America

Can you remarrying if still married abroad?

Postby ricky1874 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:28 pm

I have a friend that married a filipina in the Philippines. Things didn't workout between them and he never filed the papers for her to come to the USA. He now has found someone in the USA that he wants to marry. Can he still marry her if he is still married to the woman in the Philippines? Or, does he have to get a divorce from the woman in the Philippines first?

"100 Countries Before I Die..."

sammyk
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
United States of America

Re: Can you remarrying if still married abroad?

Postby sammyk » Wed May 20, 2020 3:23 am

From my understanding,... you are still married in the Philippines, but single here in the USA. You're still single in the USA because you never filled the papers. I think after you marry a Filipina you have to remarry here in the USA once she gets here. But it's best to consult an attorney.

bobby7227
United States of America

Postby bobby7227 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 11:44 pm

Sounds like a complicated situation your friend is in. My advice is to get a lawyer that actually knows how to handle things like this. He may have to consult multiple lawyers from both countries.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:39 pm

I have been married in the Philippines and when I was in the US my uncle said that it is best if I get a wife who is a US citizen so I can have legal residency papers. He had consulted an attorney about it. As long as the other party in the Philippines do not file a complaint then there will be no legal issues.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Sat Sep 04, 2021 12:52 am

Marriage is not just bout paperwork it is about commitment, loyalty, and love. Technically speaking, you can marry abroad when you are still married in your home country. But I think if you want to remarry it is better to get a divorce from your former spouse before marrying again. I do not like this idea of getting married in a new country just because you can get citizenshipp

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:37 pm

I think you have to get annulled first before you could marry again in another country, although if no one complains I don't think it would be an issue, but it is best to have your records clear so that you won't have any record of a previous marriage.

Return to “Work, Travel, Tourist, Marriage & Fiancé(e) Visas”