Marriage visa in Germany

Ask and share information about any visa process that you have or have experience. Feel free to post links also.
MonicaOr
United States of America

Marriage visa in Germany

Postby MonicaOr » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:29 pm

I heard it was hard to get a marriage visa in Germany if you are a foreigner. Is this true?

Arya Snark

Re: Marriage visa in Germany

Postby Arya Snark » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:10 am

Yes, that's true, but depends on your and your spouse's status. Normally, you need to apply for a visa, and your spouse must prove that you have enough secure finances to support you, and enough room in their house or apartment. If your spouse is not a German or a citizen of European Union (or European Economic Area, or Switzerland), and was granted residence before you were married, you will have to wait two years from that point before applying for a spousal visa. You also need to prove that you have basic knowledge of German language (German embassy may help you find an exam), unless you have graduate education, your spouse is a researcher, highly skilled worker etc. Or you're a citizen of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand or the USA. There's also the requirement for both you and your spouse to be at last 18, but that's redundant I guess.
So as you see it's very difficult for people from most countries, and not easy either for those from the above mentioned developed countries. People from European countries have it easy, though, as they don't need any visas to enter Germany and gain residence permit.

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:46 am

Arya Snark wrote:Yes, that's true, but depends on your and your spouse's status. Normally, you need to apply for a visa, and your spouse must prove that you have enough secure finances to support you, and enough room in their house or apartment. If your spouse is not a German or a citizen of European Union (or European Economic Area, or Switzerland), and was granted residence before you were married, you will have to wait two years from that point before applying for a spousal visa. You also need to prove that you have basic knowledge of German language (German embassy may help you find an exam), unless you have graduate education, your spouse is a researcher, highly skilled worker etc. Or you're a citizen of Australia, Canada, Israel, Japan, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand or the USA. There's also the requirement for both you and your spouse to be at last 18, but that's redundant I guess.
So as you see it's very difficult for people from most countries, and not easy either for those from the above mentioned developed countries. People from European countries have it easy, though, as they don't need any visas to enter Germany and gain residence permit.

He just summarized everything here for you. I definitely don't think that there is more to add, as the explanation already given here has just about made everything clear and concise for you. I know it would be definitely hard without being told.

Mark Grill

Postby Mark Grill » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:42 am

I would like to say that you have shared really useful stuff with all of us. I like this a lot and now love to add here this sort of stuff always really very useful for me. I like to say keep sharing with all.

Return to “Work, Travel, Tourist, Marriage & Fiancé(e) Visas”