Does having a degree help?

This is a forum for all who are interested in volunteer traveling. If you have questions about what it is or how to get involved, please post them. And for those that do have experience, please share your experience and which organizations are good to try.
ohgodlol

Does having a degree help?

Postby ohgodlol » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Hello y'all,
I was just wondering if it helps to have a college degree when it comes to volunteering. I mean obviously if you're a doctor you can sign up to cure people in other countries, but does someone who doesn't have an education or any useful skills have a harder time volunteering? Do many volunteer organizations test you to see if you're a good fit?

Faerie

Re: Does having a degree help?

Postby Faerie » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:46 pm

It depends on the kind of organisation you're volunteering in.
Some organisations that do manual work like building houses might prefer people with experience (amateur or professional) at building things, but most of the time they take anyone they could get as long as they are willing to learn and cooperate.
If you want to volunteer for more sophisticated positions such as counseling, then a degree would be required or preferable and it has to correspond in the field of study of your degree. For example for a spot at working with people with special need they would prefer someone with a degree around educating or caring for people with special needs.

I'm prety sure each organisation lists their prerequisites if they have any, consider that they often even accept high school students. Most of the time the worry more about the applicants having a clean criminal record and speaking english or the local language of the operation (if you're going abroad somewhere).
All of the above can be flexible though. If they run out of volunteers they would welcome any applicant so if you have specific doubts about whether you should apply or not, pop in a question at their contact mail, they are usually happy to answer.

Daniel

Postby Daniel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:42 am

ohgodlol! I would like to say that nowadays it is too much tough for service yourself without any degree. Because you can get all the jobs on your degree base. But I am going to agree with you if any person which had not educated but he had a good and useful skills when how he volunteering give the test for his fitness. But according to me, it is necessary and companies do it.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:41 pm

My brother in the US said that the best group for volunteer work is the UN. You can apply as a volunteer in any field that is appropriate with your degree or work experience. It is great to be a UN volunteer because there is compensation aside from the universal visa that they will grant you.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Wed Dec 01, 2021 11:46 pm

There is an international volunteering organization called students partnership worldwide, they hire high school students to work as volunteers, but they prefer graduates. If you want to volunter in schools and colleges, you need higher degree, likewise, if you are voluntering in medical field, you ar erequired to have relevant degree. yes, you need to be educated to volunter.

Return to “Volunteer Travel”