What countries to visit in Europe?

List places that you've been before or would like to go one day in the future.
christopheril11
United States of America

What countries to visit in Europe?

Postby christopheril11 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:16 pm

I'm planning a trip to Europe this year or next. Does anyone know of any awesome countries and cities they would recommend to visit?

Sharon

Re: What countries to visit in Europe?

Postby Sharon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 pm

Personally I would love to visit France, Italy, Great Britain, Greece, and Ireland.

maxen57

Postby maxen57 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:58 am

That what depend on what kind of vacation you want. If you simply like the usual tours, culture exchange, sampling local delights then by all means, head to any country that the usual tourist would. But if you're more on the adventurous side, head for Iceland or Greenland where you can go trekking and camping. That's where I'm heading someday.

lexinonomous

Postby lexinonomous » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:46 pm

Of all places I could visit, I would want to make my way to Italy. My grandmother's family is from Italy and it would be a wonderful experience to see where her ancestors came from. I know that two of my aunts are still living and stay in a small village in Florence (at least I think that's where they live.) I also wouldn't mind visiting Ireland. Their culture has always appealed to me. I remember being a child and lying to my fellow students about my heritage because I wanted so badly to be Irish, ha ha.

Arya Snark

Postby Arya Snark » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:30 pm

We could write you a book on that topic (I'm sure there are such books already) and it would not cover it all. There's so much to choose, so you might follow alexuxley's advice and start with deciding your budget. If you want an affordable trip, you should probably go to Central/Eastern Europe. Every country here has a lot to offer, so I won't try writing a balanced summary. Instead let me shamelessly promote my own area 8-) Upper Silesia, in the southern Poland, is not a traditionally tourist destination, but we have a lot of beautiful and interesting places, like a former coal mine turned into an underground museum in Zabrze, or the palace in Pszczyna. Did I also mention there's a sporting arena that looks like a flying saucer in our capital? And finally, if you find the region not to your taste, Cracow (medieval capital of Poland, favorite tourist destination in the country) and Czech Republic are are in range of several hours' ride from here.

Faerie

Postby Faerie » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:32 pm

And lately Greece as well has become more affordable, though still not as much as the rest of the Balkans. You'll find that many hotels and rooms have lowered their prices to keep the customers flowing in and antagonise Turkish tourism which is also very affordable. Both are nowhere near as expensive as the largest european cities, like Paris and London.

Also on the same budget tier as Greece & Turkey there's also Vienna in Austria. Vienna is basicaly a miniature of the entirery of central-european architecture. So if you don't have the time to spend on running all over central Europe you could just hop over to Vienna and have it all in a spoon-full.

Arya Snark

Postby Arya Snark » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:33 pm

@faerie: Yes, and I think Greece has - on average - still higher standards than most of the Balkans? You know, the quality of hotel rooms and similar stuff. A friend of mine was recently on a trip to Albania, and complained about the badly kept hotel she stayed in, or the general shabbiness of much of the town. AFAIk only Croatia is already on the same level as Greece when it comes to tourism (I'm not criticizing the countries in general, mind you).

Arya Snark

Postby Arya Snark » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:41 pm

A trip to Greenland is a fascinating idea, but I doubt the island counts as Europe :P Can confirm that Iceland is great, though, some of my friends have visited and loved the place(s). You can go trekking in the apparently boring countries as well, like Germany or Switzerland. Especially Switzerland, it's absoluely great if you enjoy mountain trails.

remnant

Postby remnant » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:31 am

I would visit Greece due to its Mediterranean climate and pristine beaches. I would also recommend Eastern European countries especially countries like Romania and Slovakia and the Czech Republic which makes one reminisce about the good old days despite the uncertainty of the Cold War. In general, one can't go wrong with heritage sites and coastal zones. I would think twice before going to any European country experiencing winter.

alexhuxley

Postby alexhuxley » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:24 am

Western Europe, think France, the Netherlands, Switzerland, etc. is going to be pricey, as will be Scandinavia. If you're looking to travel on a budget, the Baltic states (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania), the Balkands around Greece, and Eastern Europe (Czech Republic, Hungary, Poldand) are going to be more affordable. All of Europe has a wealth of history and stunning architecture. You can't really go wrong, just keep in mind some areas are really going to put a dent in your wallet.

Return to “Places To Visit”