Malta

List places that you've been before or would like to go one day in the future.
Mark Grill

Malta

Postby Mark Grill » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:58 am

malta is a famous country in Europe which I am going to explore this month when will free from niagara fall tours from new york. Actually, my friends told me this is the best place to go in September and its atmosphere very clear. That's why I m going to be there. let me know what will you like to say about this?

dhovorka
Austria

Re: Malta

Postby dhovorka » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:44 am

To be honest I visited Malta only for business and in my personal opinion, I always felt the island is too small to do a lot of things.

Set sail for the Three Cities
A regular ferry service to three equally historic cities operates from Valletta's harbor.Birgu, Senglea and Conspicua are collectively known as the Three Cities and were founded in the Middle Ages. But their origins go back much further than that. They've been the main entry point to Malta since the days of the ancient Greeks.Even less modernized than Valletta, if you wander through these cities' streets you'll experience a more traditional way of life. Especially during the lively festivals that take place throughout the year.

Explore historic forts
Fort St Elmo overlooks Valletta's harbor. You'll also find historic fortifications all around the Maltese islands. In the 17th century, a series of lookout towers were built all around the country's coastline. Although some were demolished over the centuries, many of them are still standing. Some are even accessible to the public.

Swim at the blue lagoon
Just off the coast of Comino, the extremely photogenic Blue Lagoon is the country's most popular spots. It's on the route between Malta and Gozo, so sailing boats from both islands regularly stop in the lagoon's shimmering turquoise waters. There's not much of a beach around the area, so the sands can get very busy. Avoid the crowds by going either early morning or late afternoon.

Explore the blue grotto
Another one of Malta's most beautiful natural sights is the Blue Grotto. It's a series of sea caverns on the south coast of the main island - great if you're sailing or scuba diving.The best time to visit the Grotto is during the morning - up until about 1pm - as that's when the waters are at their most brilliantly blue.

See the silent city of Mdina
Mdina is a perfectly preserved walled city found on a hilltop in the north of the main island. Very few cars are allowed there, which has earnt it the nickname of "the Silent City".Up until the mid-16th century, Mdina was the country's capital, and home to many of the Mediterranean's most wealthy people. After the capital was moved to Birgu (and then Valletta), Mdina went into decline. It's remained largely unchanged since its heyday, so there are some fascinating historic houses and palaces to explore.Just outside the city walls, you'll find the remains of a Roman villa.

If you are more into sightseeing places you can visit Malta's beautiful churches - there are more than 360 of them in total - that's more than one every square kilometer. Some of Malta's most fascinating landmarks are hidden deep underground.The town of Rabat is famous for the St Paul's and St Agatha's Catacombs.You can also see temples older than the Pyramids. Malta is well known for its unique food and wine, you can even visit their vineyards.

Hope this helps, enjoy your trip

Return to “Places To Visit”