Where are the best places to go in south korea?

List places that you've been before or would like to go one day in the future.
951temec
Yemen

Where are the best places to go in south korea?

Postby 951temec » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:28 am

So after all of the the stuff going on in politics, i felt the need to want to visit south korea. Seoul seems like a beautiful city but i would love to soak up more of the culture outside of that major city if at all possible and avoid the tourist traps

dhovorka
Austria

Re: Where are the best places to go in south korea?

Postby dhovorka » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:26 am

South Korea is big and it depends really what you want to do, see something, experience something, art and culture or relaxing and chilling .

Jeju Island
For relaxing and chilking Jeju is known as the Hawaii of Korea, Jeju Island is a popular destination for vacationers looking to relax. Be sure to visit one of the many museums on the island, especially the famous Teddy Bear Museum.

Dongdaemun Market
Dongdaemun Market is a traditional market in the heart of the country's capital city, Seoul. Open nearly 24/7, with over 30,000 specialty shops, this is a must-visit spot for any tourist, not it is not a tourist trap.

Haeundae Beach
Busan is a city surrounded by several beaches, with Haeundae know as one of the most beautiful. This beach is a great place to visit, even in the winter, when there are several festivals.

Seoraksan National Park
Seoraksan attracts many tourists annually, but the Autumn scenery is touted as the most beautiful in Korea. Experience scenic forests occasionally interrupted by several famous temples.

Gyeongju
Gyeongjus is commonly known as 'the museum without walls', due to the numerous historical sites in the city. If you're looking for Korean heritage, be sure to visit the Bulguksa Temple.

Jeonju Hanok Village
If you want an authentic taste of Korean history, stay at one of the traditional wooden Hanok houses in Jeonju Hanok Village. Enjoy ondol heated floors and traditional Korean cuisine while in Jeonju.

The DMZ
Yes a relict from the time before, The Demilitarized Zone (DMZ), contrary to its' name, is the most heavily militarized border in the world. However, it remains a popular tourist destination, as guided tours of the area are available.

Jeongdongjin
Jeongdonjin is one of the most festive and picturesque towns in the country. People flock to the beaches to watch the sunrise on New Years Day, and to observe the full moon for Lunar New Year & Dano.

Yongpyong Ski Resort
Yongpyong is a 4,300 acre resort that features a 45 hole golf course, 31 ski slopes, premium hotels, European-style condos and other leisure facilities. Perfect for the active family on vacation. However having said this as Austrian, I would recommend you to come to Austria for skiing

Toilet Theme Park
Something funny, this park of poo statues and toilet bowls was built by the former mayor of Suwon & founder of the World Toilet Association, which is dedicated to improving sanitation and toilet facilities worldwide.

Haesindang Park (Penis Park)
You did not get enough of seeing funny things, this park has penis statues, benches, squid penises, penises with ears... you get the point. It really lives up to the name. Aside from the sights, the park also has a beautiful view of the East Sea.

Bupyeong Underground Shopping Center
Let's get a little commercial, ever wonder where to find all that amazing Korean fashion? Bupyeong Underground Shopping Center has everything, from clothes, bags & shoes to stationery. Certainly a must-visit for any shopaholic.

I hope this gives you an idea on a couple of different things. You can be active or just enjoy the culture of the country.

cherimae
Australia

Postby cherimae » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:32 am

I've only been to Seoul myself, a few people I know have been there and taken trips to the DMZ which is great if you are interested in the military/politics side of things. I loved Seoul though, I did a great cooking class there, I also visited a really nice palace called the Gyeongbokgung palace - it's a beautiful building with plenty of history behind it. I think Seoul is actually a city that has a lot of history and culture intertwined with urban life.

nnacrter
Philippines

Postby nnacrter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:49 am

I've never been at South Korea. I want to know and experience their culture and traditions. I want to try their good foods, especially the Kimchi. Many Filipinos can cook Kimchi, they worked from South Korea and move back at the Philippines. But despite of that, I want a Kimchi that is Made or cooked from South Korea :lol: :lol: :lol:

951temec
Yemen

Postby 951temec » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:14 am

cherimae wrote:I've only been to Seoul myself, a few people I know have been there and taken trips to the DMZ which is great if you are interested in the military/politics side of things. I loved Seoul though, I did a great cooking class there, I also visited a really nice palace called the Gyeongbokgung palace - it's a beautiful building with plenty of history behind it. I think Seoul is actually a city that has a lot of history and culture intertwined with urban life.

Nice, so you're saying there is a good bit of culture within Seoul itself, not entirely a tourist trap? that's great to hear. The cooking class sounds pretty fun, I haven't even considered that, seems like a great way to learn about the history of the cuisine, then learn how to prepare it, Out of the box destination class sort of thing sounds quite enticing. Do you have any other suggestions for activities and such for a trip to Seoul?

jy76
Zodiac: Sagittarius
United States of America

Postby jy76 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:36 pm

You might not want to miss Itaewon, the tourist section of Seoul. It's like the Korean New York City - and you can find people from all sorts of places there. In fact, it's possibly one of the most international places I'd ever seen. Anyway, it's a great place to crash for a night and just party. I can't really explain it; you just have to visit.

cherimae
Australia

Postby cherimae » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:49 am

951temec wrote:
cherimae wrote:I've only been to Seoul myself, a few people I know have been there and taken trips to the DMZ which is great if you are interested in the military/politics side of things. I loved Seoul though, I did a great cooking class there, I also visited a really nice palace called the Gyeongbokgung palace - it's a beautiful building with plenty of history behind it. I think Seoul is actually a city that has a lot of history and culture intertwined with urban life.

Nice, so you're saying there is a good bit of culture within Seoul itself, not entirely a tourist trap? that's great to hear. The cooking class sounds pretty fun, I haven't even considered that, seems like a great way to learn about the history of the cuisine, then learn how to prepare it, Out of the box destination class sort of thing sounds quite enticing. Do you have any other suggestions for activities and such for a trip to Seoul?

I think that it really depends on what else you're into! The cooking class was called Ongo cooking class if that side of things interests you - if you Google the name you should find a link! But yes, it was a wonderful way to connect with the history of Korea through food and then get to enjoy some delicious eats. There was also a food market right near there which was interesting to visit as well!

Myeongdong is also loads of fun for shopping and a really modern atmosphere!

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Postby Kakashi2020 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:25 am

I only visited south Korea once and it was 8 years ago it was a company trip and we visited Bukhansan National Park, it was beautiful, we hiked to Mt.Bukhan and there were pretty amazing sites, the view from its summit was breathtaking. Its located near Seoul and you have to hike for several hours to go to the summit and also there's a temple and sort of a palace there which was built if I can remember correctly it was during the Joseon Dynasty also there are spas and bath houses there but I didnt go in. It was a great tour and you could really feel the Korean essence when visiting this park.

Return to “Places To Visit”