living in USA

Share your opinions, questions, concerns, desires, advice or experiences of living and working in another country.
sweetcath
Philippines

living in USA

Postby sweetcath » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:14 pm

im a filipina married a foreign man from united state of america.is it hard for to adjust and to adopt there culture?are people nice and kind?please give me some tips,so before my papers done im well prepared.thnx

davemre
United States of America

Re: living in USA

Postby davemre » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:45 pm

It all depends on what part of the USA you are planning to live in. America is made up of people from all over the world. There are so many different languages spoken here. And even the english is hard to understand sometimes, depending on what area you are in. I think the best thing for you to do is find out exactly what state and city you will be living in and do as much research as you can about it.

jy76
Zodiac: Sagittarius
United States of America

Postby jy76 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:50 am

Some parts of the US are racist against certain groups. For instance, where I live certain people are harsh on blacks, Mexicans, and Asians (and those who side with them). Also, some parts of the US are even racist against white people, even though whites are the majority. Anyway, though, if you simply avoid certain areas and mind your own business, then you should do fine. For instance, where I live (Northeastern Tennessee), the bigger towns are fairly tolerant, but certain backwater areas are notable for harassment.

dhovorka
Austria

Postby dhovorka » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:36 am

sweetcath wrote:im a filipina married a foreign man from united state of america.is it hard for to adjust and to adopt there culture?are people nice and kind?please give me some tips,so before my papers done im well prepared.thnx

It really depends on where you are going to plan to live. The Filipino community in US is huge, very huge. Also, I need to say that you might find more of them staying the northern parts of the US, places which are colder than the west coast California. In any city or part of the US you will find racists across the country, but most of it effects between each ethnic groups. The means there is more racist feelings between black and black growing up in the wrong end of town instead of black to white or white and Asians. Private schools in the US are very focused on getting racist thinking out of the head of people and you can see this. Low-income people are the only one which is racist under each other. Never forget: 98% of deadly crime happens in families and relatives or between friends and neighbors. This is the reason why people do get too much attracted by neighbors and build friendship only far apart from each other. Seeing a bullet flying 2km did not yet happen :)

951temec
Yemen

Postby 951temec » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:07 am

The US is pretty difficult to bunch up into one group, but I can attest to the fact that if you go to a fairly liberal area, think San Francisco or New York then you will have no problems living your life, raising a family and adapting to life.

But if you move somewhere like Arizona or the South, life will be pretty hard without facing some sort of harassment or comments or just general older views.

Folk Artist
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Zodiac: Aquarius
United States of America

Postby Folk Artist » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:08 pm

The Filipino people can be found anywhere in the United States, especially in the western part and metro areas - and a lot of them can be found in Southern California and the San Francisco Bay area. Some other bigger populations include states like Hawaii, Illinois, Texas, and Washington - also the New York Metropolitan area and New Jersey as well.

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Fri Nov 05, 2021 7:59 am

I know there are a lot of Filipino people in the US, and there is no language barrier also, so they fit in better there. The only difference is that the laws like divorce instead of annulment might give the complainant more disadvantages.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:25 pm

When the US is the topic of conversation my status would always be included. I had an approved petition in 2007 by my father who was a US citizen. But I did not avail of that privilege. Now my 3 siblings are US citizens and I am the only one here in the Philippines. I preferred life here because it is free and easy, less stressful too.

Return to “Living and working abroad”