Adjusting to the weather

Share your opinions, questions, concerns, desires, advice or experiences of living and working in another country.
remnant

Adjusting to the weather

Postby remnant » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:44 am

Living in another country can present challenges if one is not familiar with the currencies. You have to learn the denominations, the exchange rate and how to bargain. There are also challenges with payment issues for services. There are myriads of situations where tricksters identify foreigners and defraud them in cash or in kind due to there issues. The most common frauds occur when one wants to convert currency. I have seen some foreigners being charged double the amount of transport compared to others. Anyone with such experiences?

fcuco

Re: Adjusting to the weather

Postby fcuco » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:10 am

The currency situation is very confusing in some places, the UK is notorious for having confusing coin values. The United States is also complicated for foreigners, the only easy to understand coin is the quarter as the name is pretty obvious, but "dime" and "nickel" are very confusing terms, not to mention the fact that the dime is worth more yet it is a smaller coin, it is almost the size of a penny yet it is worth 10 times more.

Exchanging your money while traveling is a very tricky situation but you could always consult the current exchange rates over the intertet.

pwarbi
Great Britain

Postby pwarbi » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm

Are we talking about adjusting to the weather or the currencies here?

As with most things, the currency you will just eventually have to get used to and while you are right that in some countries it's easier than others, at the end of the day if you are constantly losing money I'm sure you will soon get used to it...I know I would anyway!

If we are talking about adjusting to the weather though (like the thread title mentions).that isn't so easy and especially if you are going from one extreme to the other. I was born and live in the UK, but I worked in Dubai for a 3 month period a couple of years ago now, and the climate was something that I never got used to as it was so far away from what I lived and worked in before.

It's one thing going over there to lay on a beach all day, but when you have to live and work...go about your daily routine in that kind of heat it really can start to get you down if you aren't used to it.

DR KOKIL AGARWAL
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
India

Postby DR KOKIL AGARWAL » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:20 pm

Adjusting to weather and other living conditions of any new place can be no less than a challenge a times. To be surrounded by a complete different stock of people and that too with diurnal changes can be a matter of great stress.

The problem can rise manifolds if the changes in weather are very intense. A normal human body takes his own time to adjust to temperature differences. The changes in temperature forces changes in lifestyle as well.These changes are capable of mentally disturbing any person and can cause an increase in anxiety levels.

hallowishie
Philippines

Postby hallowishie » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:11 am

Adjusting to a new weather on a different country can be challenging both physically and mentally. You want to acclimate as easily as you can to new, unfamiliar, or extreme climates. If a mild or static climate is familiar to you, prepare to experience all four seasons in full force. You should be always ready to gear up and to eat and drink well enough to help you body adjust with the new climate. When you make the move abroad, you will inevitably have to go through the process of adapting to the new climate. Whether you are moving somewhere hotter or colder than you are used to, it is going to take some getting used to.

pandooh
Philippines

Postby pandooh » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:47 am

Basing from all the comments here, I realized that I would love to experience the weather of many countries. It may be a challenge, I know, but the thought of experiencing it seems to be a good thing in a bucket list. I have never been to another country before but I would love to work overseas. My sister was able to work overseas. Yes, she struggled a bit in adjusting to the weather but with currencies she didn't find it difficult to understand.

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:28 pm

My first trip abroad was a work assignment in London for 4 months. I arrived with the temperature at 15 C which was cool but not uncomfortable. After a week I noticed the temperature to be dipping regularly until I felt the cold at 10 C temperature. It was hard to sleep at night when the weather got colder especially in the morning. That cold weather made me decide to go home and forgo the invitation to stay longer.

dottie
Level 2 Member
Level 2 Member
Philippines

Postby dottie » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:19 am

Ok, so you meant "weather", but you start to talk about foreign currencies. In my opinion, it would be more convenient if they know a local so that they would be guided when it's time for them to exchange or do other stuff so that they won't be scammed.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:54 am

One of the greatest problems I have, when I am in a foreign country, is identifying whether the price is expensive or cheap. Let say I am in Malaysia and the product is 10 Malasiya currency, will have to convert to my native currency to check whether the product is expensive or cheap. I cannt get a sense of the price value in foreign currency.

Return to “Living and working abroad”