Problems in living abroad

Share your opinions, questions, concerns, desires, advice or experiences of living and working in another country.
DR KOKIL AGARWAL
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
India

Problems in living abroad

Postby DR KOKIL AGARWAL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:38 am

Many people accept work offers from overseas and gradually settle in that foreign land. Residing in an unknown land away from all the near and dear ones is definitely not easy. Each day can come up with an unknown challenge and survival can appear difficult.

According to you, what are the most common problems which people face in any foreign country?

TingJ
Philippines

Re: Problems in living abroad

Postby TingJ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:28 am

Working abroad is an answer to earn a higher income than working locally especially here in the Philippines. Yes, there are problems arising when one is working at the other country, The relationship is sacrificed. One became lonely, needs the care and love of the spouse. Because of this situation, the person will look for somebody in that place who could extend care and love as a substitute of an absent spouse. This time, troubles arise that may end into a broken relationship.

It is said that in a relationship, distance is a test. If the tie is strong, relationship will not be broken.

panda2017
Philippines

Postby panda2017 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:57 pm

In exchange for a monetary benefits, most people opted to go abroad , work and live there eventually . Proud to show in all social media the best thing that happened to them in a far away place, away from their loved ones . Nice clothes, eating in a very costly restaurant, meeting a lot of people, photos in different places, nice car and the like.

But they are not telling us the dark part of their lives abroad. Not all who went abroad , are fortunate to land a good job, job that makes them proud and earn enough for themselves and for their families back home in the philippines. For those kababayans who went abroad without legal papers , landed in a very discomfort and miserable life. The basic necessity are even compromised hoping they could get at least something they can pay for their house and food.

When I was in Dubai , I saw how progressive and developed this coutnry, but in reality some people , filipinos and non filipinos are jobless . One major problem they faced is their shelter, a place they can live comfortably. Just to share with you , some are living in one very small room with 10 people inside and in a 2-3 bedroom, 20 - 30 people or more. Imagine how difficult it is . Some or most people are living in sin, engaging in pre marital sex and adultery, all vices are there just to cope with the loneliness, illegal drugs, drinking , womanizing, gambling etc. In short they lost their moral integrity in exchange for a short time of happiness.

TingJ
Philippines

Postby TingJ » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:37 pm

The most difficult problem in living abroad is when we experience a culture shock. Since we are not fully aware of their cultures, we sometimes do not know if what we are doing are in lined with their cultures or not. It is hard to adjust. We encounter hurts. For example, entering the mosque barefooted is prohibited. As a consequence, we are penalized. Another example, in some Arab countries, a man talking to a woman is not good. Well, if you are not well-informed and not used to it, you will really feel uneasy because of many limitations.

mildredtabitha
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Postby mildredtabitha » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:47 pm

I have seen people talk about money when coming back from abroad. But from few who decided to share their experience, one person said that he could not get a job in Dubai and so he decided to wash toilets. He was paid $10 a day for washing toilets. He was able to save this and go back to his home country.

Other people face problems like racism and language barrier. Some people catch diseases in the foreign country. Some people get robbed and lose all contacts with family members because they have to start from zero.

fishbate
Philippines

Postby fishbate » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:13 am

In my opinion one of the major problem in living abroad is adapting yourself to the culture and tradition of the country your gonna live in. This plays a big role on how you interact with the people and things around you. This may lead to problems specially in terms of the country's law and community relations. While some people can easily adapt, others may take some time and may lead to anxiety and stress. :(

Martinsx
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Martinsx » Sun May 13, 2018 4:12 am

If you are not a citizen, the issue of Green card would always be a big problem for you. This is why most people who live abroad always try and do everything in their power to acquire green card so that they wouldn't be under constant harrestment from the police.

Folk Artist
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Zodiac: Aquarius
United States of America

Postby Folk Artist » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:16 pm

There are a lot of advantages of becoming a expatriate, that would broaden your cultural and spiritual horizons. But also some cons as well to being a expatriate- some of these would be loneliness, language barriers and making new friends, but you could find some friends if you work at it enough. Also for family and friends back home, you could set up Skype and a webcam so you could keep in touch for free.

kaka135
Malaysia

Postby kaka135 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:43 am

I think feeling home sick might be the biggest problem for me to live abroad. Though there might be friends to hang out, I will still always miss my home, my family and friends back in the home country, and my home country as well. I stayed in another country for a year before, though I enjoyed my life there very much, I still missed my home and especially my parents very much. Being and feeling at home or at home country is really great! Now that I have my own family, I don't think I would be able to leave them and live abroad.

Rayone
India

Postby Rayone » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:58 am

I am living in Australia for the last 9 years and never felt any homesickness or any other problem whatsoever working or living here. In fact, the living conditions, salary, and environment are so good that I like it here more than back home. However, I generally visit my home country every year or so and take care of everything that needs my attention. I am in my home country right now and wish I could go back but the travel restrictions are stopping me from going back.

Return to “Living and working abroad”