home sick

Share your opinions, questions, concerns, desires, advice or experiences of living and working in another country.
11oresOa

home sick

Postby 11oresOa » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:58 pm

home sick is one of the big problem living abroad

pwarbi
Great Britain

Re: home sick

Postby pwarbi » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:31 am

Homesickness is obviously going to be the one main problem that you have to try and overcome, and at first whenever you move to a new place then you are going to miss where you have come from as well as friends and family that you have left behind. When I lived and worked abroad, I found that after a while I started to make new friends and that was key for me to settling in as quickly as I did.

It's easy to feel like a fish out of water sometimes, and especially if you don't know anybody else in that country, but if you are outgoing and try and fit in, you often find that the locals are more accommodating than what you think, and sooner rather than later you will start to settle in.

to7update
Portugal

Postby to7update » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:51 am

Tell me about being homesick... A few years ago I had to spend one month working in Tokyo and the relationship with my current wife had just begun, so I was wishing to return every single day, so it was really painful to be away from everything we love, but it's also a good learning experience, because when we return we value more what we have.

jy76
Zodiac: Sagittarius
United States of America

Postby jy76 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:17 pm

When I was in South Korea I generally didn't get homesick and also enjoyed the local food. However, once you are there for along time, then you begin to miss the culture back home. In that case, eating at western restaurants occasionally, chatting with other westerners, and watching American stuff on YouTube helped out. Anyhow, I can say I enjoy other cultures, but there is no place like home. :)

Faerie

Postby Faerie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:04 pm

Indeed. But it gets better as long as you find people of a simillar culture to socialize with.
Or if you're lucky you can migrate/move away along with your existing friends.
Any place can become 'home' when you're surrounded by the right people.
That way you can feel a little less out of your comfort zone and look forward to vacation back home with a smile on your face, and not as if it's some kind of liberation.

kamai

Postby kamai » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:38 pm

I would be too depressed to be away from my home especially my family I think I would always be crying. That's why I have never been far from them. There is no way that I would make it for very long.

lexinonomous

Postby lexinonomous » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:54 pm

This is definitely a huge problem. When I was living abroad, I found myself being more and more homesick as the time went on. It wasn't so much of missing the place that I was from, but missing my family. Being away from the people that I know and love is very difficult for me. It's not a nice feeling to be missing your mother and knowing that there is absolutely no way for you to see her in person any time soon. Phone calls can be helpful, but at times they can make the homesickness even worse because you are communicating with the people you miss. I found that skype was a very useful tool when I was missing home. I used to have my mother use Skype in places I was familiar with so I could "make sure" nothing changed.

Arya Snark

Postby Arya Snark » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:49 pm

Skype helps a little, because you can talk with your family longer than on phone and you have some video, not just voice. But ultimately it boils down to taking roots in your new place, and this is difficult sometimes. I hope you manage this in your new country, I know it's difficult sometimes - I used to know a guy from Poland who lived in the Netherlands for years, and had a good job, nice flat etc. but couldn't fit in the society and finally relocated into Poland again.

ReadmeByAmy

Postby ReadmeByAmy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:01 am

Feeling homesick is probably the first thing that I had encountered when I migrated here in Korea to be with my husband. I grew up having a close knit family ties in my home country and it is really very hard for me to accept the fact that I will be away from them already after I got married. I remembered before the first time when I said goodbye to them it is very heartbreaking for all of us. As days and years had passed I am lucky that I had find friends having the same nationality like me and we are always there for each other here that is why the feeling of homesick had lessened but still I miss my family and everyday we communicate online through video call and thanks to the amazing wonders of high technology because we always feel like we are just near with each other everyday.

mauricioq

Postby mauricioq » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:29 am

I hate being sick, and I hate being at home because of sickness. In my case, I only stay ay home is my state is very fragile and serious. It's better if you make a effort to go out, because your system will start to heal faster.

Return to “Living and working abroad”