What if s/he just wants US citizenship?

This is a forum for anyone who has or wants to marry someone outside their country. Post questions or advice or links to important information about the topic.
ohgodlol

What if s/he just wants US citizenship?

Postby ohgodlol » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:26 pm

I hope I don't insult anyone, but I think this is a serious issue to consider when marrying a foreigner. After all, there have been many stories about foreigners marrying for the sake of a green card. Has anyone gone through a process like this? How can one know if the person truly loves them or is just pretending?

Novelangel

Re: What if s/he just wants US citizenship?

Postby Novelangel » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:03 am

One good way to test the waters in such a situation would be for the U.S. citizen to tell his/her friend that he/she is coming to the foreign country to stay for an indeterminate amount of time. If the person is genuine, he/she would probably jump at the idea of having their loved one come for an extended visit. If he/she complains about the setup, there is a high probability that the person simply wants U.S. citizenship. Also, if the other person wants the U.S. citizen to pay for everything all the time, that could indicate a less-than-enthusiastic lover. Communication is key as well. You should talk regularly in some form to get to know each other. If the foreigner is only thinking about citizenship, that topic will come out in conversation a lot.

maxen57

Postby maxen57 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:05 am

I don't really blame you for thinking this because there had really been women who are only after the green card. But I'd definitely say that not all Filipinas are like that. I have an American acquaintance on Facebook who came here to be with his now-wife, they had a daughter and they live on a farm. They aren't rich but believe me when I say that despite being both depressive, they are able to just get through one day at a time. An aunt of mine also married a retired British nurse and they settled here until my Uncle Brian passed away a few weeks ago. In honesty, I don't want to relocate to the US because I don't think I can handle people coming on too strong. If I'm going to live in another country, I will do it by my own means.

If for example you've met someone and you want to test her, tell her first about your "low-paying job" and how you "plan to settle in the Philippines". That would immediately show her true colors. :lol:

kamai

Postby kamai » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:46 pm

If that's the case then there shouldn't be any marriage process marriage is about love and if there is no love then marriage is not an option.

Heatman
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Heatman » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 am

You are right concerning what you think about some people marrying a foreigner just for the sake of green card. Today, people employ all sorts of means to make life good and comfortable for them and marrying a foreigner is an easy task compared to things they take up.

It's evident today that youth now engage in this act more often. There have some recent marriages in which we see young youths at the age of 26-30 years getting married to 70 year old woman. This is purely for the sake of getting citizenship card, it's not a marriage based on love but on business basis.

nnacrter
Philippines

Postby nnacrter » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:19 am

In relationship or before entering relationship you need to know him/her more. Know her dark sides and bright sides. Make sure that she/he just love you but she/he must be in love to you also. Don't marry a gold digger, but a goldhearted man/woman. Marry a man/woman who deserves everything you got. Marry someone who has balls and will accompany you in everything. Then, If you knew that she/he just wants US citizenship and don't love you and can't give her/his world for you, Then leave her as soon as possible to save your life from being miserable.

jkeypad
Philippines

Postby jkeypad » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:20 am

it's not insulting, it happens in reality anyway. I agree with you it's a serious issue, marrying someone is not a game to play and should not take advantage just to live abroad, it is a selfish act to do. it is so humiliating to hear that many Asian women will do anything for the sake they are going to have a good life in abroad. that's why most of the foreigners now who wants to marry Asian women are very cautious. What if you met the right partner? would you hold yourself and test the person if she/he is really trustworthy and if it's true love? We will never know if we didn't try, we will never know till we have the courage and be open to them. Yes, we've been hurt before but it doesn't mean that we need to hold on and scared. However, I believe that truth will come out when someone hides something and if something is not true.

mildredtabitha
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Postby mildredtabitha » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:32 am

This reminded me of a Facebook group I am in where a girl posted about trying to get the green card. You could tell that she was desperate to go to US and I won't be surprised if she ever think of marrying a US citizen as the solution. Many international marriages are not love based marriages. Most people marry the other person for reasons like money, color of skin and also for green card.

I think it is hard to tell if someone is using you to get the green card because love is blind to some extend.

Henrywrites
Nigeria

Postby Henrywrites » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:46 am

Novelangel wrote:One good way to test the waters in such a situation would be for the U.S. citizen to tell his/her friend that he/she is coming to the foreign country to stay for an indeterminate amount of time. If the person is genuine, he/she would probably jump at the idea of having their loved one come for an extended visit. If he/she complains about the setup, there is a high probability that the person simply wants U.S. citizenship. Also, if the other person wants the U.S. citizen to pay for everything all the time, that could indicate a less-than-enthusiastic lover. Communication is key as well. You should talk regularly in some form to get to know each other. If the foreigner is only thinking about citizenship, that topic will come out in conversation a lot.

The need to tell the spouse to come down to the country where we stay or ask that we join them can be a sure way to see through their character and understand better what they are really up to in the sense that it would be really hard for them to hide their true character from us when we come down to the country they stay instead of allowing them to join us in the US. Also, it is all about luck for online relationship that leads to serious ones are not just for someone like me.

Martinsx
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Martinsx » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:22 pm

This is really one of the menace we have today as a result of people seeking to make it at the expense of others. This is very common in Nigeria today, I have seen several uploads in different social media platforms where young Nigerian youths at the age range of 28-35 years marry old women of 70 years upwards.

There is only one logical conclusion for this kind of occurrence and it's absolutely for the green card and nothing like love. Although there are some people who fall in love with US girls naturally and they probably get married but that rarely happens. Scammers are much now, it's best to be careful with how one let people or strangers into their lives.

Return to “International Relationships & Marriage”