Divorce in the Philippines

This is a forum for anyone who has or wants to marry someone outside their country. Post questions or advice or links to important information about the topic.
rnastee
United States of America

Divorce in the Philippines

Postby rnastee » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:08 pm

I heard that there was no divorce in the Philippines...is this true or is it just only hard to get a divorce there?

aquaMe
Philippines

Re: Divorce in the Philippines

Postby aquaMe » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:18 pm

rnastee wrote:I heard that there was no divorce in the Philippines...is this true or is it just only hard to get a divorce there?

Yes theres no divorce in philippines but theres is annulment process.

abelinc
Philippines

Postby abelinc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:38 am

Yes, it's true that there is no divorce in the Philippines. There are two legal remedies for couples in the Philippines who wish to separate.
One is to file for legal separation. If granted, the husband and wife may live physically apart. However, they are in NO way allowed to marry again. In the eyes of the law, the couple remains married. Their separation is only physical.
If a married person wish to separate from his/her spouse, and want to legally marry again, then the remedy is to file for ANNULMENT.
It means, one spouse is asking the help of the court to declare the marriage NULL and VOID. That is, as if the marriage didn't happen.
That's the main difference between DIVORCE and ANNULMENT. In divorce, there is the acknowledgment of marriage, whereas in ANNULMENT once granted, marriage is deemed as if it didn't happen. Thus, each of the spouse may now how the option to marry again.
Check out the Philippines @ http://www.bisdak.org

Henrywrites
Nigeria

Postby Henrywrites » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:32 am

I've not lived in the Philippines, but if this is true, then that is a good way to keep things going better. I have always said that marriage should be a union to be respected, but that doesn't mean anyone should be abused while on it as well.

Martinsx
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Martinsx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:30 am

aquaMe wrote:
rnastee wrote:I heard that there was no divorce in the Philippines...is this true or is it just only hard to get a divorce there?

Yes theres no divorce in philippines but theres is annulment process.

Seriously, there is no divorce in Philippines. What could be the reason for the making of such law? I believe that there is a reason behind it and allowing only annulment process. This looks good but I don't some countries would agree to this, countries like United States of America, United Kingdom, even Nigeria as well. Some people would prefer to having done and dusted with granting of divorce.

Martinsx
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Martinsx » Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:34 am

Henrywrites wrote:I've not lived in the Philippines, but if this is true, then that is a good way to keep things going better. I have always said that marriage should be a union to be respected, but that doesn't mean anyone should be abused while on it as well.

@Henrywrites Your comment on the need for respect in marriage is is good, there is no argument about it but what happens in a situation where both parties aren't ready to live with each other or have anything to do with themselves ever again, should they be forced to live together like cat and dog?

Some situations calls for divorce to be pursed not because it's a good thing to divorce but because it's necessary to save both the partners life. I have actually witnessed a couple that almost had themselves killed because they don't want to be together again as husband and wife. So it's best to divorce in such occasions.

kaka135
Malaysia

Postby kaka135 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:52 am

abelinc wrote:Yes, it's true that there is no divorce in the Philippines. There are two legal remedies for couples in the Philippines who wish to separate.
One is to file for legal separation. If granted, the husband and wife may live physically apart. However, they are in NO way allowed to marry again. In the eyes of the law, the couple remains married. Their separation is only physical.
If a married person wish to separate from his/her spouse, and want to legally marry again, then the remedy is to file for ANNULMENT.
It means, one spouse is asking the help of the court to declare the marriage NULL and VOID. That is, as if the marriage didn't happen.
That's the main difference between DIVORCE and ANNULMENT. In divorce, there is the acknowledgment of marriage, whereas in ANNULMENT once granted, marriage is deemed as if it didn't happen. Thus, each of the spouse may now how the option to marry again.

Thank you for explaining these in details. This is the first time I heard that there is no divorce in Philippines, and instead there are two remedies. Though I don't really understand the difference between ANNULMENT and DIVORCE, I believe there is a good reason for doing so. I always heard there are good tradition in Philippines where the Filipinos always respect and take care of the elders, and the concept of family is strong, I believe they always respect marriage, am I right?

It's always good to learn more about other cultures and traditions.

rnastee
United States of America

Postby rnastee » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:22 pm

abelinc wrote:Yes, it's true that there is no divorce in the Philippines. There are two legal remedies for couples in the Philippines who wish to separate.

How much does an annulment usually costs in the Philippines? I've researched it but I got a lot of different amounts from $1,000 to $10,000. Do you know how long does it usually take to complete? Thanks in advance.

Bravosi
Ukraine

Postby Bravosi » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:58 am

I had hoped it's not so common in Ph, actually. :c

Hova
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Postby Hova » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:46 am

WTF!!! No divorce? That sounds like slavery to me.

Return to “International Relationships & Marriage”