How did you learn English or teach your kids to learn English?

Kakashi2020
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Philippines

Re: How did you learn English or teach your kids to learn English?

Postby Kakashi2020 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:49 am

I learned English when I was a kid in school, English was our language from gradeschool to highschool and even then my parents and grandparents prohibited me and my brothers from watching Filipino films or shows in TV, it was always English Films more so in watching movies. But now I'm letting my son's watch Filipino Shows and Movies but I'm constantly coaching them on how to speak, pronounce and write in English.

albino
Philippines

Postby albino » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:12 am

kaka135 wrote:If English is not your native language, how did you start to learn English?

My native language is Chinese and I am staying in Malaysia, English is a compulsory subject here. My parents did not really know English well, and I think I started to learn English when I went to kindergarten. It's an English speaking kindergarten where we can only speak English there.

I am finding ways to teach my children English now. :)

My native language is Hiligaynon here in Philippines I learn to speak English from foreign songs that I usually sing, and from school because we always have an English subject from 1st to last grade. But if your problem is to teach your kids to speak basic English you can download English nursery rhymes online because most of them have pictures related to the words that they are going to teach and easy for them to learn it because they see the pictures and hear also the pronunciation and they also see the words.

jaypinoy
Philippines

Postby jaypinoy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:25 am

As a Filipino, it's also compulsory to us to take and study English subjects during our school days. However, for me, it wasn't the primary reason why I became fluent with the language.

For me, I was able to practice and be fluent with English because of my parents' job which is a caretaker of a resort in the Island of Siargao. Most of our guest were foreigners and English speakers, and as a child I always talk to them because I was very extrovert during my childhood. I still remember how confident I was when talking to them even though my grammar wasn't that good because I'm still 9 years old at that time and we were at the rural area so the quality of the English education wasn't that good.

For me, even though I'm not yet a parent but I do have a nephew, it's better to teach your children to speak English at a very young age so that they won't struggle with their grammar and pronunciation.

kaka135
Malaysia

Postby kaka135 » Wed May 02, 2018 1:33 am

albino wrote:My native language is Hiligaynon here in Philippines I learn to speak English from foreign songs that I usually sing, and from school because we always have an English subject from 1st to last grade. But if your problem is to teach your kids to speak basic English you can download English nursery rhymes online because most of them have pictures related to the words that they are going to teach and easy for them to learn it because they see the pictures and hear also the pronunciation and they also see the words.

Thanks for your suggestion. I think the problem we always have when learning foreign language is that we might not have the environment to practice our speaking and listening skill. My kids do listen to English nursery rhymes and watch some English educational programs sometimes, my eldest likes to read English books too, but I think he couldn't really communicate with others in English and doesn't quite understand when others speak in English. I guess we will have to expose the kids to more English speaking community in order to let them learn.

to7update
Portugal

Postby to7update » Wed May 02, 2018 3:16 am

In Portugal it's taught in the schools, so from 5-6 years old we start learning it, and that is why most of the population speaks it. English is the international language, so makes perfect sense.

jayjaydimson
Philippines

Postby jayjaydimson » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:47 am

I learned to write and read English from my school and also to our trainer.

Bravosi
Ukraine

Postby Bravosi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:00 am

Oddly enough, my father taught me the basics back when I was 6 or so. Later on I managed to learn it myself somehow. I played a lot of online games and communicated with people from the US. That's how I learned it.

kaka135
Malaysia

Postby kaka135 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:22 pm

Bravosi wrote:Oddly enough, my father taught me the basics back when I was 6 or so. Later on I managed to learn it myself somehow. I played a lot of online games and communicated with people from the US. That's how I learned it.

I understand that, as my eldest is similar as well. I did teach him some basic, but since my youngest was born, I didn't really have much time to teach him. He just picked up the books and read them on his own, of course, sometimes I still guided him. He also watched some videos from YouTube, and he has learned a lot from those educational videos as well. I didn't realize he already learned quite a number of vocabularies and able to read some chapter books on his own. Sometimes I speak English to him, I am also quite surprise he can understand and reply me. But I think it's good to have opportunities to speak to others, like you, communicated with US people. I also think playing games or chatting online with others is a good way to learn.

Bravosi
Ukraine

Postby Bravosi » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:34 am

@Kaka135
Yeah, I concur completely. In order to learn a language you must have a suitable environment for it. If you don't, then you'll never learn. To be honest, an active discussion with people who talk English is far more superior than 11 years in school and some tutors. I can guarantee 100%. Moreover, if it's something fun he'll learn it faster and willingly.

justin
Level 3 Member
Level 3 Member
Nepal

Postby justin » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:53 pm

I use English as a second language. English is the only foreign language that is being mandatorily taught in schools and colleges in my home country. Maybe it was the British influence or the influence of Colonial rule in neighboring India, English has been included in the school curriculum for hundreds of years. In our schools, kids learn English at the same time when they start learning the national language.

Return to “English”