How did you learn English or teach your kids to learn English?

mildredtabitha
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Re: How did you learn English or teach your kids to learn English?

Postby mildredtabitha » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:43 am

Here in Kenya, English is a compulsory subject. We never grow up speaking English but we are taken to school from childhood to learn English. English is a compulsory subject from kindergarten, primary school to high school. After there, you can decide to further specialize in English in the University.

DR KOKIL AGARWAL
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
India

Postby DR KOKIL AGARWAL » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:15 am

English is our secondary language. I belong to India and Hindi is my mother tongue. Having studied in an English medium convent school I have a good command over the subject. My father is also very good at speaking and writing English and he has helped me a lot in improving my English.

I have many friends who have not studied in English medium schools. This has made them very weak in the subject. But, constant and consistent practice really helps to improve the speaking and writing skills. Practice is the only key for learning and improvement.

xobe
Philippines

Postby xobe » Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:23 am

English is basically the second language for Asian countries because it's not their mother tongue. The good practice for learning English is by reading various of books. It is a good start for you to understand English on that process because you'll get to know different words and easily comprehend while you're reading. Watching foreign movies also can help you because you'll understand each action or movement by person on whatever ever script he or she says.

Amirul Islam Amun
Bangladesh

Postby Amirul Islam Amun » Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:13 am

I also believe that learning English is very important for all of us.Generally student learn basic English from their school. grammartical method etc they learn from school. But I think if parents took extra care about this topics than a child can learn English easily from his home. Than he can develop his English skill by talking with his family member and friends. I also think that movie or cartoon series can help him to improve his speaking skills as well. Why learning English is important?
today now a days technology is growing higher and higher. Besides that our daily work becoming bore broad and facing international value. Suppose a person wants to work in various marketplace like fiverr, contentmarts etc. In those sites he have to deal with international client. In contentmart if a person register himself as a content writer or copy writer, he must need to be very well in English. So I think we should take extra care in this topics.

xobe
Philippines

Postby xobe » Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:50 am

English is not my native language but I learned a lot by reading English books and watching foreign movies. Most countries secondary language is English and that is reasonable. The challenging part is on how are you going to construct your sentences if you are given a chance to speak personally to Americans. Texas people is very hard to understand because once they speak, words that comes out to their mouth sounds like they're chewing on something.

Henrywrites
Nigeria

Postby Henrywrites » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:27 am

My native language in this part of Africa is igbo while other tribes speak other languages like Yoruba and Hausa which are the dominant languages you can get around here in Nigeria. However, the language that unites us happens to be English and that as a result of the fact that we got that from the British people that colonized us back in the days.

I got to learn English quite well by attending schools right from the low level of education till my university level and I'm proud to say that I can do much better in terms of writing and speaking English language unlike when I was growing up.

Henrywrites
Nigeria

Postby Henrywrites » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:31 am

xobe wrote:English is not my native language but I learned a lot by reading English books and watching foreign movies. Most countries secondary language is English and that is reasonable. The challenging part is on how are you going to construct your sentences if you are given a chance to speak personally to Americans. Texas people is very hard to understand because once they speak, words that comes out to their mouth sounds like they're chewing on something.

I think you're right that some of the native English speaking countries are not able to take it easy with is that learnt it through practice, but that doesn't mean we should give up and not try to get better at what we do at the end of the day. Learning languages can be quite exciting, if we put in our best in learning how to speak and write on it too.

Martinsx
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Martinsx » Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:30 pm

kaka135 wrote:If English is not your native language, how did you start to learn English?

My native language is Chinese and I am staying in Malaysia, English is a compulsory subject here. My parents did not really know English well, and I think I started to learn English when I went to kindergarten. It's an English speaking kindergarten where we can only speak English there.

I am finding ways to teach my children English now. :)

Learning a language that is not your native language is always very difficult at the beginning but do not worry about it, technology has made virtually everything much better than before and a whole lot easier now. As Chinese is your native language, there are several language learning platforms out there you can sign up to and learn directly from someone who is a native of the language you desire to learn.

Look up Italki and Lingostan, these two platforms have been very useful for me in learning any language I desire without much stress and worries. Now I'm learning German language with Germanpod101 and it's so cool. I believe these are good and will be very helpful.

Gladford
United States of America

Postby Gladford » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:14 am

I started learning English when I was in primary school. Although, English is not our first language most of the Schools here offer English Subject which can help us to learn English. Reading and watching English movies help me too to be familiarized to the words which are not taught in school.

Martinsx
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Martinsx » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:40 am

Gladford wrote:I started learning English when I was in primary school. Although, English is not our first language most of the Schools here offer English Subject which can help us to learn English. Reading and watching English movies help me too to be familiarized to the words which are not taught in school.

English language isn't our first language as well, but with a lot of studying from nursery, primary, secondary and university education, I have improved well in the language because it's almost 90% of every terms scheme of work.

I must give it to you that watching American or British movies helps a lot in teaching one how to write and speak English especially if you are using subtitles when watching these movies. I have lots of new words and vocabulary from just seating at home and seeing a lot of movies.

Return to “English”