How did you learn English or teach your kids to learn English?

Emmaz
Nigeria

Re: How did you learn English or teach your kids to learn English?

Postby Emmaz » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:03 am

Being a Nigerian is a general knowledge already that English language isn't our native language but due to the language being a lingual franka, we have no choice but to learn and master it as if it's our mother tongue and first language. So therefore, I believe that my journey to learning English language started at my home during my childhood age even though I cannot remember how it all went down till I became a teenager and now adult who is very much aware of my English learning experience.

Taking to nursery school is where I believe my first formal education on learning English language kicked off and it was taken to secondary and finally to the university level. I also made use of online websites to get better with my quest to master the language, and using grammarly to weed out errors in what I write helps me in getting better.

wallet
Romania

Postby wallet » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 am

English is not my native language, I have started to learn English in school at 7 years old for 8 years. The rest I have learned from TV and music, the basics were from school time. I think I am doing well in writing and speaking, still, I must work on grammar.

Henrywrites
Nigeria

Postby Henrywrites » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:11 pm

wallet wrote:English is not my native language, I have started to learn English in school at 7 years old for 8 years. The rest I have learned from TV and music, the basics were from school time. I think I am doing well in writing and speaking, still, I must work on grammar.

This is really amazing to read for learning English at the age of 7 is a great move and to know that you've reached this point where you can write it nicely. Learning a foreign language is always good and easier when we put the necessary effort in learning the new language.

Martinsx
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Martinsx » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:20 am

wallet wrote:English is not my native language, I have started to learn English in school at 7 years old for 8 years. The rest I have learned from TV and music, the basics were from school time. I think I am doing well in writing and speaking, still, I must work on grammar.

If you are good at watching movies, you would definitely pick up a lot of things from the actors. They have taught me so much that I am ever grateful. Also taking up professional courses would be a great way to improve on your English skills and usage.

Martinsx
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Martinsx » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:23 am

Emmaz wrote:Being a Nigerian is a general knowledge already that English language isn't our native language but due to the language being a lingual franka, we have no choice but to learn and master it as if it's our mother tongue and first language. So therefore, I believe that my journey to learning English language started at my home during my childhood age even though I cannot remember how it all went down till I became a teenager and now adult who is very much aware of my English learning experience.

Taking to nursery school is where I believe my first formal education on learning English language kicked off and it was taken to secondary and finally to the university level. I also made use of online websites to get better with my quest to master the language, and using grammarly to weed out errors in what I write helps me in getting better.

I'm so impressed getting to see that you make use of grammarly in your quest to get better in both mastering the use of English language and it's writing. Grammarly has been a blessing for all those non native English speaking countries, because it helps them to take care most errors they make with the use of the language.

Emmaz
Nigeria

Postby Emmaz » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:44 am

Martinsx wrote:
Emmaz wrote:Being a Nigerian is a general knowledge already that English language isn't our native language but due to the language being a lingual franka, we have no choice but to learn and master it as if it's our mother tongue and first language. So therefore, I believe that my journey to learning English language started at my home during my childhood age even though I cannot remember how it all went down till I became a teenager and now adult who is very much aware of my English learning experience.

I'm so impressed getting to see that you make use of grammarly in your quest to get better in both mastering the use of English language and it's writing. Grammarly has been a blessing for all those non native English speaking countries, because it helps them to take care most errors they make with the use of the language.

You are very correct, I had issues with lots of grammatical errors with my English language and writing when I started out as a writer, it really slowed down so many works I would have completed without stress and I had some of my writing rejected because of bad grammar and grammar errors. But I was introduced to using grammarly, or solved my grammar mistakes and errors to the lowest minimum. The developers of the application grammarly are God sent people who want to help a lot of people with their English language problems.

Martinsx
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Nigeria

Postby Martinsx » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:30 am

Emmaz wrote:
Martinsx wrote:
Emmaz wrote:
You are very correct, I had issues with lots of grammatical errors with my English language and writing when I started out as a writer, it really slowed down so many works I would have completed without stress and I had some of my writing rejected because of bad grammar and grammar errors. But I was introduced to using grammarly, or solved my grammar mistakes and errors to the lowest minimum. The developers of the application grammarly are God sent people who want to help a lot of people with their English language problems.

Grammarly is a savior to all writers in their job especially those who English language isn't their first language. It helps them reduce writing mistakes and errors to the lowest minimum. Personally, I have gotten so used to making use of grammarly that I cannot write without it.

cherimae
Australia

Postby cherimae » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:43 am

I learned in school, and then I had some friends who were foreigners so I guess I just practiced a lot with them. I think it's probably the easiest way to learn, when you can speak naturally with others - sometimes learning from a textbook makes you use words that aren't common in everyday speech. If you have the chance to practice with a native speaker or even live in a country where English is the native language I highly recommend you do that.

junrose123
Philippines

Postby junrose123 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:23 am

I learned basic English during my school days because it was taught on us on how to speak correctly especially when we are having a conversation with other people. I just find English language as a very useful tools in my day to day life because we all know that English language are one of the most used language all over the world. It gives me the advantage to easily learned new things out of this and give me the chance to improve more my basic skills.

Steve5
Philippines

Postby Steve5 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:12 am

I learned English by watching cartoons. It was easy because I took my time to learn the language. I didn't rush into it like many people are doing nowadays. I simply enjoyed learning and had fun. Having positive experiences will make it easier and more comfortable to learn any language.

Return to “English”