Intercultural & Interracial Relationships

This is a forum for anyone who has or wants to marry someone outside their country. Post questions or advice or links to important information about the topic.
DouglasPa
United States of America

Intercultural & Interracial Relationships

Postby DouglasPa » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:39 pm

I think mixed race relationships are more complicated than most people realize. If you are really connected with your culture, then there are a lot of things that you need to explain to your mate. Sometimes there can be confusion because the 2 of you don't see eye-to-eye. And the more serious the relationship is, the more communication is needed.

abelinc
Philippines

Re: Intercultural & Interracial Relationships

Postby abelinc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:41 pm

Marriage as it is IS already complicated with two imperfect people. Throw in cultural differences and you've another issue to tackle as your marriage progress. But like any other element brought into the marriage, it is something that the two couples can work around. If the couple can adjust to their own differences in personalities, I don't see why differences in their culture can't be faced head on. Complication I think is only a mindset. It will take the perspective that your marriage will be complicated because of your cultural differences, then it will probably be one. However, if you go into the marriage expecting this, then an open-minded perspective can help you navigate your marriage successfully. Hard, but not impossible.
Check out the Philippines @ http://www.bisdak.org

maxen57

Postby maxen57 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:52 pm

I personally know of an American who has settled here in the Philippines to be with his wife. They married here and had a daughter. I think cultural differences can be worked on if both had the sincerity and and the dedication to understand each other. I know that it's not just love that's at play here but if you are willing to go the extra mile, you'd do it for the right person.

Novelangel

Postby Novelangel » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:40 pm

I know of an American man who went to the Philippines to meet his long-distance girl friend. This was back in 2009 and he is still there, having married her and become a citizen of the Philippines. He found out that it is easier for the American to travel to the Phils, than it is for the Filipino to travel in reverse. I also went to that country during that same year and was pleased to discover that I could stay there for three weeks without even having a visa on my passport. That's how easy it was to travel over there to visit. But it would have been much harder for my Filipino friends to do the same by coming here. When you have an international relationship such as this, you have to not only communicate very well with each other, but you also need to do thorough research on the laws of both countries involved. There's some serious work involved with international marriages, but they can be well worth it if that's where your heart leads you.

ohgodlol

Postby ohgodlol » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:50 pm

All couples will have obstacles to get through together, but I think it can be especially difficult for interracial couples. When dating someone of your own culture, you automatically understand each other better and understand where the other person comes from. However, with someone different it's a whole new world. It can be exciting, but some issues might arise if the traditional family values are too different. It might be easier with someone who is from a similar culture, say a Salvadorian marrying someone from Guatemala. However, if an American woman marries a man from Saudi Arabia, things could get more complicated. In the end, love conquers all.

Dove

Postby Dove » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:25 am

Indeed, marriage for international couple a little bit challenging for the different cultural expiriences and expectations. I have many Spanish girlfriends who say they would not get into a relationship with a Latin man because of the expectation they would have of it. The macho culture, still strong in most of Latin America, gives the man the expectation they would have a housewife; while someone from a different mindset would be really uncomfortable with that idea.

More than a difficulty, I think it should be seen as a constant surprises, and little challenges that add some spice to the relationship.

Kidthebilly
Zodiac: Gemini
Venezuela

Postby Kidthebilly » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:26 pm

Well, I have a Venezuelan friend that is living with a Mexican woman back in Mexico; They seem to take their relationship in a very stable and dynamic way. It is an encounter of two cultures and two very different personalities and I think that same, the personality of each one, is what defines if a relationship can be stable and lasting despite the idiosyncrasy of each part. Everything is possible in this life, as long as there is correct communication.

Bravosi
Ukraine

Postby Bravosi » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:15 am

I think it shouldn't be problematic, as long as the wife adopts her husband's culture

Alexandoy
Level 4 Member
Level 4 Member
Philippines

Postby Alexandoy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:01 am

I have 2 friends who are married to black guys. I don't see any problem because the Filipino society is permissive and there is no indication of racial discrimination.

Hova
Level 1 Member
Level 1 Member
Kenya

Postby Hova » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:08 am

I know it is still a issue in some countries, but I'm glad the problem is gradually coming to an end. I believe it going to get even easier for these relationship/marriages in a few decades. Progress takes time.

Return to “International Relationships & Marriage”